Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EXAR-1 promotion video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A piece of history. . .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7278343421942684235

I find the Amectran EXAR-1 to be the most fascinating of all the past electric car efforts. It seems to wander back and forth across the lines that separate real promise, vaporware, and outright fraud. My intuition is that Ramirez was 100% sincere when he began his business to make an electric car, but he just didn't know when to give up.

Incidentally, the EXAR-1 prototype is still out there somewhere. (It's listed on the Austin EV marketplace website.) It's in sad shape, from what I've heard. The whole powertrain has been stripped out, and somebody had started to customize the body and then gave up halfway through. I'm told it's probably salvageable if anybody were to take an interest and was willing to expend the resources. It would be very cool to restore it and fit it with an updated electric powertrain. That would be a truly historical and one-of-a-kind EV.

I would be tempted to tackle it myself, if I hadn't already committed to getting a Tesla. :)

Amectran

amectran001003.jpg

When they opened hood in the video it seemed to be filled with Alco brand batteries....
Welcome to ALCO Battery Sales

Deepens

From here: Ev Archive for August 2002

The author asks:

BTW, has anybody heard whether Edmond
X. Ramirez, who managed to keep the Amectran
"Exar-1" investment scam going for more than
*20 years* before being sentenced in 1999 to six
years in jail for fraud in Minnesota -- has been
released (for "good behavior?!" :) )

Thank's for the acceptance. Re the above discussion I have to say that the on off EXAR-1 currently is under restoration in Greece.

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_110407.jpg
    IMG_20161128_110407.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20170524_121226.jpg
    IMG_20170524_121226.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 83
Thank's for the acceptance. Re the above discussion I have to say that the on off EXAR-1 currently is under restoration in Greece.

Edmund Ramirez is a relative and I'm working on a story with an automotive journalist on a story about him and the car. I'd love to know more about the restoration, or get in touch with anyone who has experience with the EXAR-1 (good or bad).