Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excellent affordable alternative for Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd share this, in case it may help others....

I was looking for an alternative to the flash drive that comes with the Tesla. I simply wanted something more reliable, that wouldn't glitch out at inopportune times, and that was designed for more read/write operations then a standard flash drive.

After some amount of research, I was directed to get a microSD card with High Endurance, designed for use in video cameras, dash cams and home security systems.

Amazon has the Sandisk High Endurance SD card,128 GB, along with a Sandisk MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD card reader for $35.00!

Unless you plan to also listen to music, if it's strictly going to be used for Sentry mode, you can simply insert it in the USB drive in your glovebox and the car can format it. No need to use a PC.

So far, it's been working great (about 5 days). Also, I don't know if it's related, but I was constantly getting the small x in the upper right corner of the sentry icon, and would have to remove and reinsert my Tesla memory stick back into the USB to get it to work. I haven't had that issue since switching the Sandisk SD in place of the Tesla memory stick, but again, not sure if they're even related.

Could be a coincidence.

Here it is with a different card reader, for even less!

Reactions: Tom_July_2021