TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Excellent Place for Tire Repair

Discussion in 'New England' started by JPoldo, Jul 25, 2018.

1. JPoldo

JPoldo Member

There's very little information on this forum regarding tire repair so thought sharing my experience would be helpful to others. My S had a slow leak from a tiny nail or staple. The MA Service Center agreed to fix minor tire punctures only if located within 1-inch of tread's center. That's a really small area. My puncture was 1.5 from tire's center. I feel Tesla Service hides behind an unconfirmed safety concern and wants to sell you a new tire, quoted at $280. Maybe they err toward extreme caution because when people get injured in a Tesla there's excessive negative press.
    Remembering a good experience buying tires a couple of years ago at Town Fair Tire in Marlboro,MA, I asked them to repair my slow leak. The service adviser took my information and handed me a repair estimate for only $5.26. He said, if the plug & patch doesn't work, his price for tire replacement of the Goodyear Eagle Touring 19" tire is $180, substantially less than SC. Some models use foam filled tires that this tire center cannot repair. However, I've heard there are tire shops in NE that fix these.
    I don't know how they can remove a wheel from the vehicle, remove tire from wheel, add a plug & patch, reassemble tire & wheel, balance it, and put wheel back on vehicle for so little money. Clearly it's a promotion to attract very happy customers like me. So pleased with their work, I later returned to Town Fair Tire Center with two boxes of treats for all their employees.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. tga

tga Supporting Member

Town Fair Tire offers so many free services (tire rotation, snow tire changeover, basic flat repair - probably plug only) that I sometimes wonder how they stay in business, but I've used them off and on for 25+ years. They will price match other retailers (including internet) - I got a really good deal on new tires for my truck when they price matched tirerack.com.

I've also had good experiences with Wilson Tire in Lebanon, NH. I bought a set of Hakka R2 snows and new rear PS2's from them and have had tires repaired with a plug-patch. They've also inspected the S for me. They have a few customers with Teslas, and knew all about jack mode, etc.