Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excellent temporary mount for gadgets in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was looking for a way to temporarily mount my Garmin eTrex 22x GPS navigator in my Tesla Model 3. I like to use the device to record a track of my longer drives (I don't actually use it to navigate as the Tesla obviously does this much better). What I found was such a good solution that I felt the need to share. The RAM Mounts are excellent products that I have been using for many years with nothing but good things to say about them. They are modular, so you can use the parts interchangeably as needed. I had originally thought about suction cup mounting to the windshield, but I don't like to obstruct the view. The RAM Pod I Vehicle Mount with 18" Rod and Socket Arm ($37) fits perfectly into the passenger side front seat rail without having to remove any bolts. This was a rather pleasant surprise as removing the Torx bolt from the Tesla seat was an obstacle for me as I don't have any Torx tools that large. Not having to remove the bolt means I don't need to worry about applying the correct torque when reinstalling the bolt. Installing the RAM Pod is as simple as sliding it into the seat rail and tapping it lightly with a rubber mallet. Removing it is a simple as moving the seat forward, which slowly pushes the RAM Pod out of the rail. You can cut down the aluminum rod to any size you like, and even replace it with a longer rod if you want to mount something higher (like a radar detector). For the Garmin GPS, I'm using the RAM Spine Clip Holder with Ball for Garmin Handheld Devices ($14).

IMG_6040.jpeg
IMG_6042.jpeg
IMG_6043.jpeg

Reactions: f308gt4