TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Excess wind noise?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by odguy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. odguy

odguy Member

Just accepted delivery yesterday. I noticed wind noise comes into the interior cabin more so than other cars I've been in (not luxury cars like even my 2012 Camry is more quiet). Notice it mostly at freeway speeds. Is this normal for the MS. I have 19" rim no pano roof.

2. Sugacookie

Sugacookie Member

My father in law's MS had the issue. Can you pin-point where the noise is coming from? His was from the back passenger door. The weather stripping was not seating against the glass very well. I believe he took it into service but I dont know what the outcome was, Im assuming they corrected it. Ill ask next time i see him.

3. democappy

democappy Member

I just took delivery a couple weeks ago. I kind of feel like I get a lot of wind noise out of the top of the driver side window. I only notice it at highway speeds. Maybe I should take it into the service center to check it out and see if I need the weather stripping adjusted.

4. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I had a similar issue when I first received my brand new Model S. It sounded like it was coming from near the little triangle window towards the front of the car on the driver's side. I notified the Service Center and I think they replaced some weatherstripping and added some foam inserts or something. It dramatically improved.

Try notifying your Service Center; I bet they can help you out. Good luck!

5. bart513

bart513 Member

Also important to remember that the electric motor is basically silent so that wind noise is not as noticeable with a louder ICE car, yet more noticeable on the Tesla.

6. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

In the interim until you get a perm fix, crank up the stereo so you can't hear that wind noise. I'm one of those who will pull over to adjust a rattle, squeak, etc. It's the OCD in me. o_O