Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive “Upcoming Lane Change “

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experiencing Upcoming Lane Change notices for quite some time now. This happens while using FSD beta on a divided 4 lane highway. There should not be a lane change. This happens for no apparent reason. I have recently changed my settings to require confirmation. This helps some, but is still very annoying. Anyone experiencing this?

Is there an HOV lane on the far left, and are you driving in the lane next to the HOV lane? I’ve identified a bug in the current non-FSD highway AP software that does not allow the vehicle to be in the lane adjacent to an HOV lane unless HOV lane access is selected. I’ve observed this bug on freeways in the metro Seattle area. I’ve talked to Tesla about this bug several times, but it seems to persist in new software versions.

For some reason on our streets in town, my car ALWAYS feels the need to switch to the opposite lane it needs for turning about a mile out. I assume everyone else has this issue some? As in if it is going to take a right turn in a mile, it first changes over to the left lane, drives a quarter of a mile, then switches back.
Yes, I’ve noticed this “feature” also.

Reactions: paulfree17
I have tried to determine why the car wants to change lanes. There is no hov lanes on these highways that I am using. No on ramps. My destination has no need for a lane change. I actually let the car do it’s thing once. I accepted the lane change then the car crossed the highway into a used car lot.

I have tried to determine why the car wants to change lanes. There is no hov lanes on these highways that I am using. No on ramps. My destination has no need for a lane change. I actually let the car do it’s thing once. I accepted the lane change then the car crossed the highway into a used car lot.
Seems that your car rejected you. Did you get a good price for it?

I am experiencing Upcoming Lane Change notices for quite some time now. This happens while using FSD beta on a divided 4 lane highway. There should not be a lane change. This happens for no apparent reason. I have recently changed my settings to require confirmation. This helps some, but is still very annoying. Anyone experiencing this?
Is this really FSD beta or just FSD? If the former, wouldn't this be something you report as a bug? If the latter, well, maybe someone here can help.

Is there an HOV lane on the far left, and are you driving in the lane next to the HOV lane? I’ve identified a bug in the current non-FSD highway AP software that does not allow the vehicle to be in the lane adjacent to an HOV lane unless HOV lane access is selected. I’ve observed this bug on freeways in the metro Seattle area. I’ve talked to Tesla about this bug several times, but it seems to persist in new software versions.

I've seen this as well.

How are you actually talking to Tesla?

I wish they had a bug report email.

Bugs galore.

I have seen occasional unexplained Upcoming Lane Change alerts in NoA On road trips on I-95, I get them frequently if there's an express lane that isn't open, because the car wants to take the left exit into the express lane at every opportunity. Usually there's a gate down blocking access to the express lane; I'm not sure what the car would do if I allowed it to change lanes, but I have no intention of finding out. :)

When NoA becomes annoying, I just disable it and use regular Autosteer instead. As others have noted, FSD Beta (which I don't have) uses regular NoA on the highway, except without radar.

I have seen occasional unexplained Upcoming Lane Change alerts in NoA On road trips on I-95, I get them frequently if there's an express lane that isn't open, because the car wants to take the left exit into the express lane at every opportunity. Usually there's a gate down blocking access to the express lane; I'm not sure what the car would do if I allowed it to change lanes, but I have no intention of finding out. :)

When NoA becomes annoying, I just disable it and use regular Autosteer instead. As others have noted, FSD Beta (which I don't have) uses regular NoA on the highway, except without radar.
👆 this fixed with the most recent map update for me. No longer tries to move out of the #1 lane a half mile before every express entrance (...in NOVA, on 95).

Unfortunately doesn't help OP but could be a map issue none the less. Disabling NoA is how I dealt with the lane changes same as evrider-fl

It’s a shame that I am a FSD beta tester and can’t enjoy trips on highways (non-interstate). And to confirm, I do get the solid blue NOA line on these highways. Just like you would on an interstate. When I get to the city limits of a small town, the screen changes to the FSD visualization. And soon as I leave the city limits the car automatically switches b to the NOA visualization.