Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive autopilot nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend, I was on a 6 hour road trip and was happily using autopilot until the car started nagging me every 10-15 seconds. I kept responding and it kept nagging until I just stopped using it. I did try to stop and start autopilot, but that didn't seem to have an effect.

I have a July 2017 Model S 75D with FW version 2018.32.4. This happened in Wyoming and I was cruising at 85mph.

I was able to use autopilot without issue later on in the trip.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any thoughts on what the issue might have been?

I believe that there was inference from Elon that the nag, not only was distance based, but dependent on previous nags. i.e. if you aren't keeping hand on wheel, it will nag more and more.
Also, it was indicated that any button pushing would reset the timer. I've tried that by just increase the volume one notch and then decreasing it one notch, it silences the nag.

I dislike the nagging all together, it's simply not sensitive enough , requiring more of random tugs than actually holding the steering wheel.
Also, the white flashing area were reduced to only the uper display, behind the steering wheel.

This seems right. Nags me much more over 80 mph than in stop/go traffic.
Nags every 12 seconds, even at 85 mph, is just excessive. Makes me wonder if it was a software glitch.

I dislike the nagging all together, it's simply not sensitive enough , requiring more of random tugs than actually holding the steering wheel.
Also, the white flashing area were reduced to only the uper display, behind the steering wheel.

I was getting the nag to shut off by slightly turning the steering wheel. I pretty much had to have my hands on the wheel the whole time as the nags were coming so fast. Good idea on using the volume wheel, maybe that would have stopped them from coming so quickly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Exiom
Think of it this way, let's say you have gotten used to keeping one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and you have a heart attack or stroke but your hand remains on the wheel but for all purposes you as a human being are inoperative. The car becomes an unguided missile at that point assuming no one else's in the car with you as the current system will think everything is okay.

My draconian point is that the current system may not be very effective at all on making sure that the driver is still operational. Maybe they need to incorporate some other variables as, for instance, the General Motors system of focusing on your eyes. I'm sure the technical gurus will come up with something better which at the same time will lessen the nagging.

It rarely to never nags me but I always have a light grip and hover over accelerator due to phantom braking. (MS75D 12-17 — 36.2 firmware)

I think since MCU1 can only handle up to 90 mph, driving close to its capability would cause more nags. It also makes sense since more distance is covered per second.

It does seem IMHO if folks are annoyed by this “nag” then their hands are nowhere near the wheel. This was never designed as a hands-off driver assistance tool and people have died taking advantage of it this way.

never designed as a hands-off driver assistance tool
True, not designed. But somewhat implied and expected as such. Why would anyone pay that much for a self steering feature that actually requires you to sort of but not really steer? How many people would accept a cruise control system that requires you to lightly tap (not too hard though) the brakes every 15sec?

It nags about every 800m or so, so that’s about 15 sec at 85mph.

• Disagree
Reactions: Exiom
It does seem IMHO if folks are annoyed by this “nag” then their hands are nowhere near the wheel.
There are tens of reports of people getting nagged with both hands on wheel (it has happen to me more frequently than I care), mainly because on a straight stretch or road the weight of the right hand on one side of the wheel is compensated by the weight of the left hand on the other side of the wheel; the check system feels "no weight" and gives out a totally undue nag.

The system wasn't designed for 'hands-on' or 'hands-off', it was designed to require 'attention-on', definitely not 'attention-off'. This is a completely separate issue and totally unrelated to the position of the driver's hands. It's very easy, for example, to drive with your eyes closed for an hour using AP, as long as you attend to the degree of torque you are applying to the wheel during that time. 'Hands-on-wheel' is, in no way whatsoever, a measure of attention.