Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive Battery Drain 2022.12.3.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t recall this issue happening before, but I noticed my car recently has been failing to sleep. I can continually hear the HV relay engage and disengage while parked in my garage plugged in. I typically charge to 70% then dial back to 50%. As my warranty is ending soon, I need to determine whether this justifies a service call. Besides from the relay I am noticing excessive battery drain. In under a 24 hour period I lost ~10+miles of range.

An additional issue is I noticed after each firmware update my sentry SSD is not accessible. I need to reboot the car for operation to work again.

I'd have them take a look. Set up the service. Your still under warranty and it can't hurt. They've done a couple of updates that changed settings and caused battery drain for me as well. That was my 2019. So far, nothing on my 2022 m3lr.

Someone else reported a problem like that a while back, the car would sleep fine when unplugged but would cycle constantly like yours when plugged. You'll need to search these forums, I don't have the link. I think one of the parts in the charging system, either the port or controller, had to be replaced. Others had similar issues and only required a software update... Not 100% clear, but it's not the first time I hear this.

Did a bit of checking in the interim and measured my 12v battery voltage. When doing so, I got a reading of 15v. Perhaps the relay is engaging to keep the 12v battery topped (OG battery)? Regardless, I scheduled for a mobile tech, fingers crossed.

I was searching for a similar thread and stumbled on this on. My Model Y doesn't seem to sleep when plugged in. It looses about 5-10% per day when plugged in. I haven't tracked exactly how much, but know its at LEAST 5%. But when unplugged, its definitely closer to 1-2% a day.

Makes no sense to me that it doesn't pull power from wall when plugged in, at least as an option, vs pulling from batteries?! Let alone more than when unplugged!