Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

excessive battery drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be expected in winter in Chicago. Only thing you could have done differently is plugged it in. Many airport garages and parking lots have J1772 stations and some have 120V outlets for this purpose. Check Plugshare to see if Midway has them. Or just anticipate you’ll have this loss to determine if you can drive straight home or should plan to stop at a supercharger on the way.

Reactions: Dre78 and M109Rider
I saw 5 miles loss in 4 days parked outside in temps ranging from right around freezing point to about 55F. Was shaded, and I have cabin protection turned off anyway. I did ping with the Tesla app maybe once/day, and one time I unlocked and then relocked the car so someone could get in the trunk. But people have reported higher, sometimes MUCH higher. So not all bugs have been squashed.

You don't mention explicitly whether or not you have a account with TeslaFi or similar service so I'll ask about that, even though you probably understand the issue since you mentioned you didn't ping with the Tesla app often.

Really cold ambient settling into your battery will mess with your SOC, though. If bring your car down under about 10% SOC (not sure of the exact number) and put it in park while outside temps around around 40F or below you'll get a modal warning pop-up on the screen with words to the effect that if you don't charge up you could come back to an empty battery. How cold did it get? Did it display a blue snowflake on the screen when you got back?

You did check the vehicle twice, can you give a rough idea of how the SOC drop was spread across those days?

Reactions: Dre78
Not sure what happened to OP, but I'm monitoring Model 3 parked on bottom floor of Midway (Chicago, Illinois, USA) long term, open air parking structure.

Started with 86% SOC, and we need 10% to get home. Car will be parked Thursday afternoon through Sunday night.

IMPERIAL
For 24 hours sleep, TeslaFi reports the following losses: 13.73 miles; 3.02 kWh.
Online minutes reporting outside temps ranging 12-14°F; inside, 18-21°F.

METRIC
For 24 hours sleep, TeslaFi reports the following losses: 22.10 km; 3.02 kWh.
Online minutes reporting outside temps ranging -11 to -10°C; inside, -8 to -6°C.

Not sure how to tell if car is going into deep sleep.
I have not checked the Tesla app.
We played very conservative by charging over 90% before heading to airport.
Tag the parking location as a sleep location.

This loss is expected based on observations. Are people able to get better numbers? If so, how?

Last edited: