TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Excessive Brake Dust?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Pantera Dude, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

I cleaned my wheels about a week ago and I can't believe the amount of brake dust that has built up on the rims! I have never seen anything like this. Do the stock pads do this? There was WAY more dust on the rears than the fronts which seems backwards to me.

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I get a lot of dust as well but more on the front. The car as whole (or maybe the carbon fiber) seems to attract dust like a magnet.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've always had a moderate amount of brake dust, but more on the front than rear.

Yes the body also collects dust quickly compared to other cars... perhaps because the body is CF not metal...?

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I don't get nearly as much dust after I switch to my CarboTech pads. Also the back rims are most likely getting more dusty from the brakes since they're getting used harder, so you're probably right... My theory is that its due to the majority of the weigh being favored in the rear (900lb battery pack) so the rear brakes are doing most of the work stopping the Roadster. When I swapped my brakes I had the rotors lightly turned and the rears were warped, not the fronts, showing most likely that they're building up more heat. There's other myths to it, such as pulling up on the parking brake after the rotors are really hot. I don't pull up on the e-brake all that hard nor have I been pushing the car that hard coming home from my daily commute so I don't think that was my issue..

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'd agree that the Carbotech pads are a little bit better on brake dust, but what they really do is help keep the rotors clean.

The Roadster is a 60:40 weight distribution to the rear, so it's not that extreme. Also the rear rotors are being very heavily assisted by motor braking (as you'll really notice if you hit a big bump triggering the TC). Plus on hard stops the weight will still shift forwards and put a large load on the front wheels (because the wheels are lower than the center of gravity of the car).

So I'm sure the rear tires are doing a lot of the braking work, as a long-term average, but not so much the rear rotors.

6. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

For years I have not used a parking brake because of the theoretical risk of warping the drums or rotors on hot brakes. I think the risk is greater on drums? On our cars it seems like they REALLY want you to set the parking brake, based on the bells, signs and things it won't let you do if the brake is not set. :biggrin: Maybe I'll go back to my old ways? I find it interesting that some cars are showing more brake dust on the fronts and a couple of us have more dust on the rears. As far as I know, all cars use more front brake than rear regardless of weight distribution of the car? So more dust on the fronts is what I would expect. As I understand it, you want the fronts to lock before the rears to keep the car from spinning out. I have never heard of manufacturers changing the brake bias on cars with anti-lock brakes, that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't heard of it. I'm wondering if the cars that are showing more dust on the rears have an improper brake bias and if so why? The brake bias is not adjustable on these cars is it?

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm not aware of an adjustment for brake bias, but I suppose it's possible there is one available to service personnel.

Usually the brakes have to be pretty hot - race track hot - in order for heat to be an issue with the parking brake. By the way, usually when a rotor "warps" it's not actually warped; rather there is lumpy pad material stuck to the disk. That's a major reason you don't want to put the parking brakes on while the disks are hot.

(That said many years ago I had rotors were "burned blue" due to stuck calipers - they actually developed a metallurgical flaw and after machining they re-warped themselves just sitting in the driveway overnight!)

8. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

9. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

The brake bias is strongly to the front. What you're seeing is just more general road dust on the rear wheels than on the front. I have the same issue. Like Doug and Wiztecy said the Carbotech pads keep your rotors cleaner and generate less dust, or at least it doesn't collect on the rims as much as the stock pads.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

I also saw pics of the brake upgrade, large multi-pistion calipers were on the front *and* back. The old back caliper is being used for the e-brake now. I believe there's a reason why they're addressing the rears with a big caliper ;) Also the rotor has copper replaceable inserts. I believe this is to allow better bite of the pad since copper is very very soft. No drilled holes (thank god) but I would have liked to have seen some slots on the rotors to allow the brake dust and rust accumulation to slide/blow off.

It definitely looked like a brake setup that would stop you on a dime!

11. jordanthompson

jordanthompson 2010 2.0 Sport, VIN 0683

I too am waiting for this upgrade. I have been in several situations where someone has pulled in front of me and I felt uncomfortable trying to stop/redirect the car. Until then I didn't get what other's were saying about the brakes being undersized; now I do. Have your heard when these upgraded brakes may be coming our way and/or prices?

12. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

No word on that, they know people want/need it really bad. I'm sure they're doing all the proper testing and verification before letting it out into the wild.

13. strider

strider Active Member

And with the CarboTech 1521 pads I get basically zero dust. It is a huge improvement over the stock pads both in bite/stopping ability and dust/noise. No dust, no noise. Cannot say enough good things about them.

14. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

Thanks for your help guys!