Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive front tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Raven LR. Front tires were worn out (evenly) by 15K miles. Rears had plenty of life left (even on the inside edge - I drive on low all the time).
I had it aligned at the Tesla SC the put new tires on all around (Toyo Proxes).
Now with 2K on the new tires, the fronts are more than half gone (rears still look new).
Any idea what can be causing this? I drive very gently all the time.

Is that a typo? You wore out half the tread in 2,000 miles? That's not normal. The factory tires are designed for comfort, which means they wear faster than average, plus your car is way heavier than a normal car, which further exacerbates the problem. But 2,000 miles... something isn't right there, and it's not alignment. Either the back motor is turned off entirely or those tires are crap or both. :)

2019 Raven LR. Front tires were worn out (evenly) by 15K miles. Rears had plenty of life left (even on the inside edge - I drive on low all the time).
I had it aligned at the Tesla SC the put new tires on all around (Toyo Proxes).
Now with 2K on the new tires, the fronts are more than half gone (rears still look new).
Any idea what can be causing this? I drive very gently all the time.
what do you mean "half gone"? 50% tread evenly? inside, outside?

what do you mean "half gone"? 50% tread evenly? inside, outside?
50% tread gone evenly on front tires. I noticed this starting to happen right after the front axles were replaced for the shudder problem. I had it aligned but the problem persists. I’ll try another alignment and replace the tires one more time. If the problem continues after that, I’ll trade for something else (probably a diesel Escalade until the Hummer EV is out)

that's odd. i don't think it's an alignment issue if it's worn evenly. excessive toe would wear the inside shoulder. excessive camber would look worn from the inside . even more odd is the rears look fine. i really don't know. when you do get an alignment, get the before and after values. whatever the case, something is abnormal. 2k miles is nothing.

It is very odd, especially considering how gently I drive and that most of the miles were highway miles so not a lot of stop and go.
All four of the OEM tires were wearing evenly until I had the front axles replaced around 12k miles to deal with the shudder. Then by 15k miles the fronts were bald (rears fine with plenty of tread left). I had Tesla align it then had new tires put on shortly thereafter.

Update. Had the vehicle aligned at a local shop and they stated it was way out (front toe was way off which would explain the wear). The squirrelly feeling on wet highways is gone now so I’m guessing that alignment was my problem (and that the Tesla SC didn’t align it properly in the first place). I’ve measured the tread (inner and outer grooves) on all four tires and will monitor closely to see if the issue is truly fixed.

Update. Had the vehicle aligned at a local shop and they stated it was way out (front toe was way off which would explain the wear). The squirrelly feeling on wet highways is gone now so I’m guessing that alignment was my problem (and that the Tesla SC didn’t align it properly in the first place). I’ve measured the tread (inner and outer grooves) on all four tires and will monitor closely to see if the issue is truly fixed.
I'm sure Tesla checked it just fine and determined it was "within spec".

The problem is Tesla's tolerances are so generous as to be worthless.

1 full degree toe out? Sure! It's "within spec"! Enjoy your car!

Ok I sound like a whiner. I should quickly add I'm not proposing a class action lawsuit here (a favorite pastime of TMC whiners and trolls). But I am saying the toe is only adjustable +/- 1.5° (with an eccentric bolt, not exactly a precise control) and camber is not adjustable at all. They have no choice but to declare almost anything "in spec" because they have no way to fix it anyway.

Reactions: K2500Z71
hope your local shop got this correct. In the meantime, i'd file a complaint with your local SC. Failing to align properly after replacing axles is malpractice. Sure, Tesla won't do anything, but perhaps some manager will take the Rep to task for failing to complete his/her job correctly.

hope your local shop got this correct. In the meantime, i'd file a complaint with your local SC. Failing to align properly after replacing axles is malpractice. Sure, Tesla won't do anything, but perhaps some manager will take the Rep to task for failing to complete his/her job correctly.
Time will tell. Interestingly, the SC claimed that they didn’t need to align it after changing the axles because the axle change didn’t require them to touch the bolts that adjust the alignment. I don’t know if that’s true or not. I took it back for alignment after noticing the excessive tire wear a few thousand miles later.
I’m just going to chalk it up to an improper alignment job by the SC (I remember the tech was having trouble with the alignment machine that day and couldn’t even give me a copy of the “after” settings - they took a picture of the screen on the machine to give them to me).

Time will tell. Interestingly, the SC claimed that they didn’t need to align it after changing the axles because the axle change didn’t require them to touch the bolts that adjust the alignment. I don’t know if that’s true or not. I took it back for alignment after noticing the excessive tire wear a few thousand miles later.
I’m just going to chalk it up to an improper alignment job by the SC (I remember the tech was having trouble with the alignment machine that day and couldn’t even give me a copy of the “after” settings - they took a picture of the screen on the machine to give them to me).

I don't know how to remove the axle on the X, but it's possible they didn't modify the alignment while swapping it out. It's more likely the toe was way off from the start (typical of Tesla).

I just had my axles replaced (for the second time) as well as the front left strut. They also told me the same thing that it didn’t need to be aligned.

Ive had an independent shop align my car in the past and debating on bringing it back for them to check. On the other hand, the 22” Goodyear eagles are inexpensive enough to not really go through the effort

Thanks for starting this thread.
I have a 2020 (Aug) Raven LR / currently at 9K miles / running OEM Contis all seasons / driving on always low / based in the Bay Area / combo of highway and street.

Same issue --> rear tires are doing fine with plenty of tread (including inner tread). Front tires are degrading faster.
I don't have a tread depth gauge yet, but based on feel / eyeballing:
- Rears doing really well est. >50% of tread.
- Fronts are nearly at the tread bar and will need replacing shortly.

Based on this thread, sounds like I need to get the alignment and toe adjusted.
Anyone have a rec for tire type beyond the OEM contis? Was thinking about the Pirelli Scorpions and Toyo Proxes but not sure it'll make a real difference.
Would appreciate any perspectives / advice from others.

Thanks for starting this thread.
I have a 2020 (Aug) Raven LR / currently at 9K miles / running OEM Contis all seasons / driving on always low / based in the Bay Area / combo of highway and street.

Same issue --> rear tires are doing fine with plenty of tread (including inner tread). Front tires are degrading faster.
I don't have a tread depth gauge yet, but based on feel / eyeballing:
- Rears doing really well est. >50% of tread.
- Fronts are nearly at the tread bar and will need replacing shortly.

Based on this thread, sounds like I need to get the alignment and toe adjusted.
Anyone have a rec for tire type beyond the OEM contis? Was thinking about the Pirelli Scorpions and Toyo Proxes but not sure it'll make a real difference.
Would appreciate any perspectives / advice from others.
I'm just taking my proxes off my 17 MX. 20s. After around 35k miles. But front have been starting to bald for 5-10k miles, been slipping on wetness. I do drive heavy and can't rotate so 25-30k miles I think is reasonable.
Overall happy but maybe they were a bit louder, but idk. They grip well and back ones are barely worn. Got a great price last year. Was like 600$ for all 4. They have a real sexy pattern also!

Getting pirelli scorpion on now. 1200 but the proxies are now like 800 so less of a difference.

Was deciding on pirelli vs Michelin. Seems those are the two top level tires for these beasts. NEVER going to those silly contis..