TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Excessive leather wear?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kirkbauer, Nov 5, 2015.

1. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

So my MS was delivered late June 2015 and has fewer than 4000 miles on it and I'm already noticing some wear/crumpling on the driver's seat (outboard side).

Is there a problem or do I need to be caring for this leather better? Hopefully the pics are good enough:

2015-11-05 07.47.50.jpg 2015-11-05 07.48.02.jpg

2. Razdds2

Razdds2 Member

I have the same thing, it showed up some time ago, but for reference I'm at 13k miles.

3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Hmm, yeah I'm used to this on older vehicles (other than MS), it just seems a bit much for so few miles.

4. steph280

steph280 Member

Looks similar to my next gen seats, early June 2015 delivery.

5. gordo

gordo Member

I have similar wear on Next-gen seats. Curious if there's any advice on how to reduce chances of future splitting/tearing of the leather itself.

6. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

I have the old 1.5 performance seats, my driver seat kinda looks like this. My passenger seat was replaced a year ago and yes it's newer and less travelled but the quality difference in leather is night and day. It's softer and just feels better quality to what I have as my drivers seat, which is shiny and cheaper looking. The good news is that in a couple of years I know I can upgrade to next gen if need be.

7. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I should have mentioned mine are black next gen.

8. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

I think for a next gen seat it doesn't look great, I'd take it to a upholstery shop and see what they recommend for care. I doubt Tesla will do much for this.

9. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

10. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Does this product help with shiny leather? I want my seat looking less buffed/shiny and more subtle and matte.

11. tstafford

tstafford Member

FWIW - Mine is an August delivery with black next gens and they look about the same. My thinking is that most of the time my rear end is covering that part of the seat so I think I'll just ignore it.