Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive Off State Power Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gnuarm

Model X 100 with 72 amp chargers
At home my car is parked in the shade and I don't recall seeing idle battery drain to exceed 1 kWh per day unless the temps were really cold. I left my car at an airport parking lot with 41% charge and two days later it is at 27%. I'm worried as to what is causing this and if it will have enough charge left to drive to a Supercharger when I return.

I know the car will heat the battery to prevent damage from freezing. Will it also cool the battery when the temps are high? At one point the car reported cabin temps over 110°F. But the battery should not be anywhere near that. I believe I've been told the battery actually prefers charging at 90°F so I would not expect to see any problems at 100°F or even 110°F

FWIW, if it is cabin overheat protection causing the majority of the draw, that will be disabled when you reach 20% (I'm guessing the other features that may be causing the draw would also get disabled at 20%, but I don't know for sure on them). Hopefully you will be down to 1% / day or less once you reach 20%. In any case, as already mentioned, definitely stop checking the app, as that will only wake the vehicle and cause more power to be drawn.

I assume the app doesn't let you see or control cabin overheat. The drain reduced and I got a message at 21% saying it turned off sentry mode.

If my flight was delayed two days I'd have much bigger problems than a durn car. Still this is one of the many things I don't like about the car. It's much more like a cellphone than a car.

Does COP turn off after 12 hours? I think ours says that next to the switch.
I forgot about this, but that's because it's a relatively new feature. If OP was on an old enough version, it wouldn't be the case.
I assume the app doesn't let you see or control cabin overheat. The drain reduced and I got a message at 21% saying it turned off sentry mode.

If my flight was delayed two days I'd have much bigger problems than a durn car. Still this is one of the many things I don't like about the car. It's much more like a cellphone than a car.
You are correct, the app doesn't have control over things like Cabin Overheat Protection and Sentry Mode (and you're certainly not the first person who would have benefitted if it did). There are threads in this forum about what to do in order to minimize phantom drain when parking for an extended time (such as in an airport parking lot), but it's certainly inconvenient that extra knowledge and effort are required to prepare for such a normal scenario.

I forgot about this, but that's because it's a relatively new feature. If OP was on an old enough version, it wouldn't be the case.
Cabin Overheat used to be for forever. I was annoyed to discover in recent revs, it only applies for 12 hours. I can appreciate that a 12 hour limit might be desirable in very hot locations, but annoying in milder climates (Indiana). I wish there was a way to either specify duration (12 hours or Forever) or a way to renew the 12 hour timer. The only way now, is to physically enter and exit the vehicle. I even tried toggling Climate from the app. But if you ever turn Climate off from the app, it is hard off.

But if you ever turn Climate off from the app, it is hard off.
I guess it doesn't matter much with the 12 hour limit existing, but are you saying that you've tested this theory within the 12 hour window such that you know using the app to turn climate on and off even a few minutes after you walked away from your vehicle while it had Cabin Overheat Protection enabled would disable Cabin Overheat Protection until the next time you drive, or do you only mean that the climate control system will be turned off when you next enter the vehicle after those steps, but they have no effect on re-enabling Cabin Overheat Protection outside of the 12 hour window? I'm guessing the latter, as I've turned off climate control before exiting the vehicle and still had Cabin Oveheat Protection activate, but I'm curious, nonetheless.

I guess it doesn't matter much with the 12 hour limit existing, but are you saying that you've tested this theory within the 12 hour window such that you know using the app to turn climate on and off even a few minutes after you walked away from your vehicle while it had Cabin Overheat Protection enabled would disable Cabin Overheat Protection until the next time you drive, or do you only mean that the climate control system will be turned off when you next enter the vehicle after those steps, but they have no effect on re-enabling Cabin Overheat Protection outside of the 12 hour window? I'm guessing the latter, as I've turned off climate control before exiting the vehicle and still had Cabin Oveheat Protection activate, but I'm curious, nonetheless.
I was trying to find a way to reset the 12 hour timer remotely (from the app). I misspoke before, Cabin Overheat stays in play even through remote off/on cycle, assuming it has not timed out. I've been unsuccessful finding a way to trick the system to reset the 12 hour timeout of Cabin Overheat. Only way I've been able to add time or reset the timeout, is to actually climb in the vehicle. At least the local weather here is ideal to check this out. 80ºF and bright sun. Only takes a few minutes for the Cabin to climb to 150º (w no Cabin Overheat)

I was trying to find a way to reset the 12 hour timer remotely (from the app). I misspoke before, Cabin Overheat stays in play even through remote off/on cycle, assuming it has not timed out. I've been unsuccessful finding a way to trick the system to reset the 12 hour timeout of Cabin Overheat. Only way I've been able to add time or reset the timeout, is to actually climb in the vehicle. At least the local weather here is ideal to check this out. 80ºF and bright sun. Only takes a few minutes for the Cabin to climb to 150º (w no Cabin Overheat)
Have you tried summon, or would that be inconvenient? Considering that summon triggers everything else that is triggered by actually driving the vehicle, I suspect it would work, but obviously you'd have to be close enough to the vehicle to trigger it (and preferably have line of site even for basic summon). OTOH, perhaps when parked for more than 12 hours, manually turning on the A/C before going to the vehicle would be a better option (not that I think it should be the only option).

Two months ago, we left our 2017 S (MCU2/HW3) parked unplugged for over 2 weeks and lost about 3-4 miles of charge per day.

We just came back from a 12 day trip and our 2018 X (MCU2/HW3) lost about 10 miles of charge per day when parked at the airport with sentry and overheat protection turned off (Summon was enabled - it was also enabled in our S).

One other unusual difference between our S and X - our X will periodically issue a warning that the middle row seats are latched when they are folded down. Tesla mobile service was unable to fix this issue - and other owners have reported the same bug. In the past, we've left the X with the seats folded down and that hasn't impacted energy consumption.

I suspect something has changed in the software that is now causing more daily energy loss.

We're going a road trip in our RV soon for 7 days - and plan to leave our S and X both unplugged in the garage and do a side-by-side test to see how much energy loss we get per day. And if the X is reported significantly more loss - we have a service appointment scheduled after we get back.

[Really miss the "old" days when we could call Tesla Assistance and get someone on the phone who could look at the car's status when there was a problem...]

May have found the cause of the excessive battery drain.

At some point, Tesla added a "feature" for Summon mode - that allows the sensors/cameras to stay on all of the time while parked, to reduce the amount of time required before Summon can be started.

In our S - that feature was turned off - and we get 3-4 miles lost per day.

On our X - that feature was enabled - and based on the description - the sensors/cameras will stay on until the battery charge drops to 20% - which is a really bad design.

Noone would want the cameras and sensors to be powered for days while parked at an airport!

Tesla should modify this feature to automatically turn off the cameras/sensors after a few hours (4-8?) and not keep them running until the battery charge drops down to 20%!

Reactions: Harvey Danger