Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive PW Installation Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a PW2 & Gateway 1 installed in Feb 2020. Cost me $11,500 with a third-party installer (no Tesla install available in Missouri). I could have had a second installed for $8,000. We misunderstood the need for a second and decided to try one and order a second later, if needed. We ordered a few months later, but the shortage hit and we're still waiting 2+ years. My installer can't seem to get a PW.

I contacted a couple of other dealers in the area. Both are confident they could get a PW2 in 6 months. That's fine. Problem is one wants $13k and another wants $19k to install a second PW next to an existing PW & Gateway. All equipment including main panel are all co-located. Install is as easy as could be.

I saw from @GenSao that a second PW should be $8,000 + $2,000 install. That seems in line with what I would have paid with my original install, which would have been $6,500 + $1,500 install.

1. Does Tesla add shipping to the $8,000 MSRP?

2. How many man hours should this install be? I'm guessing two guys should get it done in one 8-hour day.

Thanks.

If memory serves, our third PW was installed in 2-4 hours: ran cable, added new shut-off outside, added PW in front of another in basement, activated/updated everything. There were already 2 PWs installed.

What is the additional outside shutoff for? I have an outside shutoff for the solar that preceded PW, but no additional shutoff for PW. In my basement with the Gateway & Generation panels, I have shutoffs by way of circuit breakers. One proposal mentioned needed a combiner between the PWs and the Gateway. Not sure what that is, guessing some kind of splitter. Thanks.

We were required to have a separate shut-off for PV and each of 3 PWs, so lots of boxes on the outside of the house by the meters. I tried getting the installer to use a single switch for the 3 PWs figuring any firemen coming over would appreciate not having to throw so many switches, but it was a no go. Not sure if there's an advantage to having them all separate.

Problem is one wants $13k and another wants $19k to install a second PW next to an existing PW & Gateway.

2. How many man hours should this install be? I'm guessing two guys should get it done in one 8-hour day.

The issue here is that powerwall demand, as you well know, far outstrips supply. They’re a valuable commodity for the installer, and your particular need isn’t terribly profitable for them. Telling them how many hours you think it should take them and what a reasonable mark up is isn’t likely to yield you the results you want.

From their perspective - they have a precious powerwall (maybe, in 6 months) to be allocated to a customer. Do they give it to someone that just needs it added to an existing install that they didn’t do, or someone who is buying an entire solution from them complete with solar and other profit-maximizing services?

They might sell you a powerwall, but you’re gonna have to pay for the value they could realize from it by giving it to a more lucrative customer.