TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Excessive size, weight, maintenance costs, lack of expected features=deposit refund

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dr Chill, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Dr Chill

Dr Chill Member

14 months after giving our deposit (#4768), we finally decided being an early adopter was not in the cards. The sheer mass of this vehicle is really the main reason, but the other reasons above were significant also. While the maintenance program is very comprehensive, it costs significantly more than we spend on our other cars, especially since we usually put only 8000 miles a year on our cars. While I'm sure folding mirrors, useful cupholders, more comfortable and supportive front seats amongst other things will certainly improve on subsequent models, I feel that for the price this car is costing, they could have done better on the interior. Those things being said, I think the car is gorgeous, handles well for such a large heavy vehicle, and is actually very impressive.

It really boils down to size and weight being the biggest factor why we opted out, especially after getting rid of our Panamera 6 months ago for the same reason.

Last week we got a refund on our Model X (#169) as well after I came to my senses and acknowledged I much prefer a sports car to any SUV.

On a positive note, there's $10,000 more now for my wife and me to frivolously spend now. I think a new TV is in order while the football season is young.

Looking forward to seeing what Gen III has to offer. I think that will better fit our needs.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Sad to see you go, maybe Tesla will win you back when the Gen III/Blue Star comes out.

3. mfarendt

mfarendt Member

Hopefully Tesla will be around so that you might be able to purchase a GenIII. Remember though, without first adopters it is very difficult for most startups to produce the future generations of their products. It's like the age old adage of the chicken and the egg...

4. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

I understand size; I drive a Miata, so most cars seem big to me! ;-)

But where's the weight come into play? I'm confused how that's a factor. Are you having it shipped/imported somewhere? Just curious. Thanks.

5. Mkent

Mkent Member

Hey, not even Model S is right for everyone, but it is for me! I can not wait to have it arrive in my garage!!

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Glad you did what felt right before getting a car you weren't completely happy with. There's always to Gen III car you mentioned or the next gen Roadster. Good luck.

7. GSP

GSP Member

Watch for the specs on the Tesla-powered Merceded B-class. It may be perfect for people that perfer a smaller, more maneuverable, car.

GSP

8. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

At least you got to put town a deposit and enjoy it for a while! ! ! ! !

Looks like I won't get to that point now because of the service pricing.......

9. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

It is massive. Doesn't feel that way, but still big. Unfortunately it will be a while til the 911 competitor comes out. In the meantime I hope I can fit into my garage without the power folding mirrors.

10. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Yes, the size of the S has concerned me all along too but that is why I am keeping my Leaf too. Gen III is certainly a more appropriate size for me too, but I can't emotionally wait that long for the greatest EV ever.

11. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

In my case our other vehicle is a minivan...

I am used to massive!

I have to admit that I could live with the S being a bit smaller, but I will regularly make use of its cargo capacity (with the rear-facing seats).

12. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I am worried that more of this is going to occur. What is unknown is whether the majority of reservation holders, who probably never read this forum, might get some sticker shock when they see all these new charges.

But, the earlier post also is relevant: If the Model S fails, there will be no Model X and no Gen III.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

All the more reason for Tesla to get it right. The burden should be on them, not us.

14. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

I just don't know how a company could screw up so many $70-100k sales(with an already hefty 25% profit margin),for a measly $2k. I too am worried of the model S flopping due to an idiotic reason. Wake up Tesla!

15. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Where do you get $2k? The extra cost from a consumer impact is only the difference between Tesla's charge and the average maintenance costs of comparable vehicles.

I really doubt it's going to cause too many folks to blink. General purchasers aren't coming into the process with nearly the knowledge or preconceived expectations of folks here in the forum. They'll probably have decided to buy before seeing the maintenance and once that emotional decision is made most folks will rationalize away things like the maintenance requirements.

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Tesla is going to spend close to the same money on ranger payroll, equipment, etc to service the car if maintenance was included. Therefore, they will be up a few thousand dollars which they otherwise wouldn't get, from this maintenance scheme.

17. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

One could just as easily say that a "measly $2k" isn't going to be a meaningful delta when you start from a $70k-$100k sales price, so it shouldn't affect most consumers' decision. Tesla Motors can't afford to give away $2k of additional services on every car--it's got a big loan to pay off, plus an aggressive ramp up of new vehicles to fund.

18. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I agree. Who here drives an M5? What's the yearly maintenance cost on that?

19. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

First 4 years or 50,000 miles is included with all BMWs AFAIK.

20. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

Not so sure ... it sounds like many on this forum are able to afford only the bottom of the line kit.
    I suspect there have been MANY cancellations.
    Tesla should have included in the price of the car the service for the first 4 years.
    Do I think $600 pa/12,500 is unreasonable? Yes. Could I afford it. Absolutely. Justify it? No.
    That's equal or more than I spent on my Lexus.