Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive size, weight, maintenance costs, lack of expected features=deposit refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you driven a Model S? I was surprised at the great braking performance. Several other posters have noted the same.

During my recent test drive, I slammed on the brakes going about 45 mph and was impressed with the stopping power. Normally, my Honda's ABS system would have engaged, but the feeling in the Model S was totally different. (And boy, did I feel it!)

During my recent test drive, I slammed on the brakes going about 45 mph and was impressed with the stopping power. Normally, my Honda's ABS system would have engaged, but the feeling in the Model S was totally different. (And boy, did I feel it!)

It's the low center of gravity again. Just like it improves cornering by reducing the weight transfer, it reduces the weight transfer that occurs during braking. The back wheels actually have some weight on them and are significantly contributing to the braking.

Did the thickness have anything to do with safety or was it mostly the door handles?

My guess is that you don't get 2012 five star side impact without really thick doors. Since they had the space they put in the retractible handles. I would have rather had storage pockets, but it's been said that storage pockets reduce the safety ratings.

Dr. C, do you drive an EV currently?

Not sure I'd agree with your "wearing off" comment...even after driving electric for almost two years...I'd bet most Roadster owners would agree...

While the car handles well, the amount of energy required to move 4600+ lbs is substantial and easily noticed when driving the car. This feeling is even more prevalent in the Fisker. The Panamera while being a similar size but weighing 3900 lbs felt much more nimble and maneuverable, but has similar skidpad numbers as the Model S due to the S's lower center of gravity and lateral stability.

We sold the Panny because after a year of driving it and seeing more and more on the street, my wife became tired of its sheer bulk, which detracted from its fun to drive factor. I suspect the Tesla S attraction may wear off for many buyers after the newness, coolness, and rareness factors wear off. It's just easier to throw around a smaller car when doing errands around town or navigating through parking lots. For those doing mostly highway driving it should be great save for the mediocre front seats. The front seats in the AMG Mercedes, M BMW's, Porsches, and Lexus F Sports are much more comfortable and provide much greater lateral support. At $65,000+,that's the class of car Tesla is competing with.

Yes, the Model S is a great car, but it's still a little unrefined. Nothing that time and experience cannot correct, after all this car is really starting from scratch.

Regarding the maintenance costs, I think that they should include the first year for free, then $600/year afterward seems more reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

If the roadster could be a track toy, then I'd be all in. I did look at two roadtsers before deciding on a highly modded Cayman S which sees the track every couple of months.

Last edited:
strider - My point exactly. Just trying to get some people to recognize that the S is a remarkably nimble car for it's size. I even expect that the already good skid pad numbers will improve as tires and driving technique are tweaked.

I have not driven a Model S. I'd love to, but not badly enough to fly to Seattle. But I'm not in the market for it. Mainly, it's just too big a car for me. I don't care about the weight, though all else being equal, a heavier car will use more energy. But I don't like driving a big car. My first car was a Jeep CJ5. Good size with plenty of space for my needs. Then a Civic wagon. A little bigger than I really needed, but still fairly small. Then the Prius. That's already too big a car for me, but I liked the technology. The Zap Xebra was the perfect size car for me. With the aftermarket charger in the right rear footwell, I had room for myself, two adults, and a child. Or I had room for a lot of bottles and cans for the recycling center. The Roadster is longer than I'd have preferred, but it needs the space for batteries.

The Model S is just too big for my needs. I considered it briefly when I was getting desperate for a freeway-capable EV and my other options were not panning out, but for me the Roadster was the better choice, and I have no need for another EV.

As for the OP and a few other people canceling their orders, it's better to cancel than to get a car that you're not entirely happy with or cannot really afford, since dissatisfied customers are the worst kind of publicity. The OP remains enthusiastic about Tesla and waits for the GenIII, rather than buying a car that does not really suit, and telling friends what's wrong with it. And Elon has said that orders are not the problem. Production is the bottleneck. Tesla will sell every S it can build for some time yet.

Dr. Cheers, do you drive an EV currently?

Not sure I'd agree with your "wearing off" comment...even after driving electric for almost two years...I'd bet most Roadster owners would agree...

Agreed. The "wearing off" hasn't happen for me in the Prius in nine years (other than the disillusionment with Toyota dealer service). I suspect the Model S will be even better over the long term.

Agreed. The "wearing off" hasn't happen for me in the Prius in nine years (other than the disillusionment with Toyota dealer service). I suspect the Model S will be even better over the long term.

I agree with this too. I still love my 2006 Prius b/c it gets 46 MPG...after starting out at 42 MPG! Then the Model S comes along - and it's big, lots of storage space/leg room, 5-star crash rating, fast, fun, looks cool, has a 17" LCD with apps, large pano roof, and all the while it frees me from the whims of OPEC.

(Of course it doesn't have rear seat cup holders for my son's drinks and it embarrasses me that I have to spend $1.00 for a cheap window walmart cup holder to hang off one rear seat window like an early 1980's vehicle. I can't wait for my friends to laugh at me and the car.)

Size is certainly a personal preference, but I've found myself wanting a larger car recently. I've been driving a G35 for years and it's great for solo driving, but quickly feels small with any passengers. The Model S, IMO, really shines here. Nimble, quick and you can comfortably fill it.

Yes, it all depends on what you're used to.

First, I guess I can't put myself in your shoes and remove myself from the reservation list. I have waited a long time (like many others). But, that is opinion.

As far as the size of the car, and since I live in Texas, it is not a big deal. I drive a Ford F150, Diana has a Nissan Armada (that thing is massive, I don't care what you say), and I have a Citroen 2CV. Yes, that Citroen. So I drive big. I drive small. Soon I will drive a computer !!!!

WJ
McKinney, Texas

I thought that the Model S was huge until I compared it to my minivan.

It's almost exactly the same size as my '08 Odyssey.

Since I've been driving minivans for 13 years now, I figure I won't notice much except sitting significantly lower !

But (going back to the original post) - I can definitely relate to hugeness being a minus -- I kind of wanted the S to be smaller, and only use the "it's the same size as my van" as a way to convince myself that it's no big deal :).

/Mitch.

I have on numerous occasions called the Model S stupid huge. Well it is big. Perhaps really big. But I went and test drove a Ford Taurus (which is pretty much the exact size of a Model S) and it was big, but not in an unwieldy way.

And on the spec sheet it says the turning circle of the Model S is only 1 foot more than my GTI!?! I find that hard to believe as my GTI turns pretty sharply. But it sounds really good for a car that size.