Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive size, weight, maintenance costs, lack of expected features=deposit refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on the test drive and some measuring, it's big when you try to put it in the garage (at least my garage) but it doesn't feel big when driving or maneuvering.

I agree. Who here drives an M5? What's the yearly maintenance cost on that?

Yearly maintenance in first 4 years is additional oil (at $14 a quart - Castrol TWS only) about every 3000 miles. Everything else is covered. After that, try getting out of the dealership for less than about $1000 per visit. Nothing is cheaply maintained on that car after the maintenance expires.

Yearly maintenance in first 4 years is additional oil (at $14 a quart - Castrol TWS only) about every 3000 miles. Everything else is covered. After that, try getting out of the dealership for less than about $1000 per visit. Nothing is cheaply maintained on that car after the maintenance expires.

To be clear it's about ONE extra liter per 3000 miles, and my dealer gave me three free liters on delivery. Other than oil changes every 10K (?) miles, "maintenance" is not expensive, but I did have a few very expensive non-warranty repairs (SMG and VANOS) on my E60. If you drive any high performance car hard, your biggest expense will be tires and brakes... If you never drive it hard, maintenance is reasonable. But the premium you paid for performance you're not using was a big waste....

To be clear it's about ONE extra liter per 3000 miles, and my dealer gave me three free liters on delivery. Other than oil changes every 10K (?) miles, "maintenance" is not expensive, but I did have a few very expensive non-warranty repairs (SMG and VANOS) on my E60. If you drive any high performance car hard, your biggest expense will be tires and brakes... If you never drive it hard, maintenance is reasonable. But the premium you paid for performance you're not using was a big waste....

Yup, sorry I wasn't clear on the quantity needed per 3000 miles. It does indeed swallow 1 liter (1.05 quarts) every 3000 miles. My dealer wasn't so kind, and once, I had to buy in Palm Springs and the liter was about $24 per. I was lucky enough to never need any work on VANOS or SMG, although my M5 is fairly low mileage for it's age (59K miles/6.5 years).

Weight

I totally get the weight point. I bought an E39 M5 in 2003 -- universally acclaimed to be a spectacular car, and it is -- but it wasn't the car for me. Amazing german engineers had made it so the thing could corner hard, but as a driver you never, ever forgot the mass was there. Despite performance in roughly (well maybe very roughly the same league) I enjoyed my subsequent 993TT, Roadster, and Audi R8 much more to drive.

While I know the Tesla S won't scratch this itch, it'll still be 10x better than the Prius EV or Leaf I've been driving to roll in the diamond lane instead. And the Roadster was totally unsuitable for that -- actually my least favorite of all the above cars and owned for just 6 months. Let's hope the S is more satisfying. I can't wait to get mine.

Funny, our prefs really do align: my biggest gripe are the seats. Where's the support? Shocked there's no sport seat option.

After years of debating this with other Tesla fans, I've decided it comes down to EV guys vs. Car guys. If you're the former, then this is the pinnacle. If you're the latter, then it's a very interesting and unique car but not nearly dominant across all requirements. While the roadster had some spectacular driving attributes (20-60mph accel, for example), many of the performance attributes were quite pedestrian and completely outclassed in its price range. It also never actually delivered on the promised accel -- well, the three customer cars I tested -- hopefully the Perf. S will. I was stoked on all the 3rd party reviews, until it became clear they were actually driving a "Peformance-Plus-Elon-Only Model" with wider tires, bushings, etc... whatcha wanna bet that car is faster in a straight line than a bone-stock Performance S?

The Cayman S will be sweet. Get some track tires for it and it will shred.

Last edited:
We drove a standard Model S at the Seattle "Get Amped" event. I was aware of the weight but quite satisfied with the cornering and quick response to steering inputs. (My base reference is a Cadillac CTS-V which I have owned since new in 2004.) On Aurora Avenue I changed lanes so quickly that enough G force was generated that Charlene dropped the camcorder. The car felt very stable and went exactly where I pointed it. The standard Model S is heavy but agile and steering is very good. Just my opinion after a 10 minute drive.