Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive steering wheel side-to-side movement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
88xxx, delivered 12/26/20. MY LR.

I'm noticing side-to-side play in the steering wheel. If I place my hands at 3 and 9 and push/pull in and out, there's enough play that it feels loose. Hands at 12 and 6, push/pull in out/up down, there's no play.

Hard to describe, just wondering if anyone else has this. I checked a new MY at the SC yesterday, there was no noticeable play in the wheel.

I have noticed a small amount of left to right movement on my steering wheel since I took delivery. It doesn't affect steering but it definitely doesn't feel right. At first I though I was imagining things, but after a while I noticed that it was repeatable.

If I grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and tug left or right I feel the wheel move about 1mm. Nowhere near enough to see, but you can feel it. I notice it especially when exiting the vehicle as I grab the steering wheel for support. I've been meaning to contact service about it but just been too busy.

It sounds like the direction your wheel is moving is slightly different, but probably has the same cause. I'll test a push/pull or tilt from the same position. So far mine has been <-->. I've also tested up/down and determined that it does not do the same thing.

Reactions: ijoe13
You've described it better than I did. I also notice the movement when changing direction...D to R, while turning the wheel.

My sales advisor (great guy, very helpful) said for me to just drop in at the SC, he'd get a tech to come out and evaluate. No need to wait for an appointment. I hope he's right!!!

Reactions: GeezerSquid
FYI: the part ordered:

Electric Steering Column, LHD,
Part # 1188811-00-D

I wouldn't assume you've got the same failure, nor do I assume this new part will fix the issue I have, until it's installed. I have an appointment for Feb. 19, so I should know by then.

I'm glad it's not a safety issue. Tech inspected all of the mounting hardware securing the steering column, and in his opinion, there's nothing missing or poorly installed. I hope the internal play in the part doesn't increase, but only time will tell. It's going to be bitter cold for the next 6 days, so I won't be going out much anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sudsington
I have noticed a small amount of left to right movement on my steering wheel since I took delivery. It doesn't affect steering but it definitely doesn't feel right. At first I though I was imagining things, but after a while I noticed that it was repeatable.

If I grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and tug left or right I feel the wheel move about 1mm. Nowhere near enough to see, but you can feel it. I notice it especially when exiting the vehicle as I grab the steering wheel for support. I've been meaning to contact service about it but just been too busy.

It sounds like the direction your wheel is moving is slightly different, but probably has the same cause. I'll test a push/pull or tilt from the same position. So far mine has been <-->. I've also tested up/down and determined that it does not do the same thing.

I had my steering column replaced due to this issue. Tesla seemed to take the issue pretty seriously and wouldn’t return the car to me while waiting for the replacement part to come it. You should get it fixed.

LionelHutz: Thanks for the post. Taking it in tomorrow, Monday, 2/22. This isn't to replace the steering column, rather the motorized unit that controls in/out, up/down. Tech inspected it 2 weeks ago, claimed it was NOT a safety issue. It seems the looseness is a defective bearing inside the unit, and doesn't affect the column itself.

I'll get more info tomorrow morning. Only a 7 mile drive to the SC!

LionelHutz: Thanks for the post. Taking it in tomorrow, Monday, 2/22. This isn't to replace the steering column, rather the motorized unit that controls in/out, up/down. Tech inspected it 2 weeks ago, claimed it was NOT a safety issue. It seems the looseness is a defective bearing inside the unit, and doesn't affect the column itself.

I'll get more info tomorrow morning. Only a 7 mile drive to the SC!

Yep it sounds line you have a different issue. I was responding to ChrisMPK who seems to have the same problem I did.

Loose steering wheel problem resolved. The in/out, up/down control is an integral part of the steering column, so the entire column was replaced, posted below. Excellent experience at the Ft. Worth Service Center: dash reassembly didn't create any rattles, interior was spotless when I picked the car up.

Verified customer concern. Replaced Steering Column and verified vehicle operating as designed at this time.
Correction: Steering Column (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added Part Quantity ELECTRIC STEERING COLUMN, LHD(1188811-00-D) 1.0
Kostal 10400691752(1028053-00-A) 1.0
Correction: Perform Validation Test Drive

• Informative
Reactions: Sudsington
I had the same exact side to side movement issue in my 2021 Model 3 and after some back and forth with Tesla Service they replaced the entire steering column. Seems like this is an issue in both the Model 3 and Y.

Follow-up: Replacement steering column solved the side/side mvmt. However, now the electric motor that extends/retracts the steering wheel vibrates so bad the whole dash hums loudly. Rechecked the mounting, thinking it was touching something, no change, still loud. 2nd replacement on order, to be installed next week. No drivability issues.