Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

excessive tire replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought new Model Y long range in Sept 2020; has about 10k on tires. On May 28, I replaced 2 tires in North Carolina (where I lived at the time) bc of slow leaks showing up on idiot lights - both tires had sidewall nails. Five weeks later I replaced another tire bc of sidewall puncture (in NJ where I now live). Today, Nov 16, I'm replacing another tire bc of sidewall puncture. 4 TIRES IN 5 MONTHS. I do not drive near construction sights, only "normal" roads. This is getting ridiculous and expensive. Anyone else having this issue? This may sound far fetched, but could it be that the 2 electric motors, which I'm assuming have magnets in them, could they be attracting all this road debris and then it's picked up by the tires? Just a thought. Thanks.

your roads suck. Your tires aren’t magnetic. Also if your on inductions you don’t have much of a sidewall. What psi you got your tires at?
Never said tires were magnetic; was postulating that the magnets in the motors would attract debris at slow speed and the tires would run over it. I am using the standard tire for the Y, 255/45R19 at recommended 42 psi.

Upvote 0
Any sentry mode alerts? Maybe someone near you doesn't like tesla's.

After watching some youtube videos I am disturbed by some peoples actions (who dislike tesla's).
2 residences in different states in that time period. I'm presently residing in a gated retirement community. I have not had any sentry mode alerts, but I will check to make sure sentry mode is on.

Upvote 0
Go find a Discount/America's tire near you, and get certs for your tires... That way if/when it happens again, you don't have to pay for a new tire.
Got tire certs. I also found that Good Sam Club, which insures motor homes and "all" vehicle tires, does not insure Tesla tires of any kind. It's a shame because they have good rates. Did get them insured from my new tire place.

Upvote 0
Just another vote for Discount Tire/Americas Tire and their warranty certificates. Even with a new Tesla, I drive it to them and they will sell me the certs. I have never lost $$ on a cert as I seem to always need 1 tire replaced over the treadwear life of Tesla rated tires. And AT/DT will price match Tire Rack. And they only sell tires, no upsell of unnecessary services. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Just another vote for Discount Tire/Americas Tire and their warranty certificates. Even with a new Tesla, I drive it to them and they will sell me the certs. I have never lost $$ on a cert as I seem to always need 1 tire replaced over the treadwear life of Tesla rated tires. And AT/DT will price match Tire Rack. And they only sell tires, no upsell of unnecessary services. YMMV.
Same... One year my MDX had to have all 4 tires replaced before they wore out. A nail in the sidewall took out two by the time the tires had 1/2 treads left... But then a massive pothole blew out the remaining two tires when they were almost ready to be replaced anyways.... They even prorated the other two tires so I could replace all four at the same time since it was AWD.

Upvote 0