Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have been working with my local service center to fix an issue where computers in the car are staying in when they shouldn't be. We have gotten the car down to under ten miles per night loss. How much loss are you currently seeing on v8.0. I have a P85.

I read a post from 2014 where someone pulled the fuse for the 12v cabin rail. What all is on that circuit? It seems to have made a difference in nightly losses.

I have a P100D and my wife a X90D. We have just returned from 10 days’ holiday. We left both cars unplugged. My wife’s car had 72% charge when we left and mine had 70%. Both were set to Enery Saving but also to Always Stay Connected. My car was left underground in my car park at work. My wife’s car in our driveway. Temp would have been a constant 24 degs C for my car. My wife’s car would have got quite a bit hotter on several 30 deg days.

On our return I had 46% SOC while my wife’s car was 66%. So, I had lost 24% while my wife only 6%. This has me worried - why is the vampire drain so much worse in my car?

I have a TeslaFi account - my wife doesn’t. Could that explain the difference?

- why is the vampire drain so much worse in my car?
There are two steps you can take:
1) Check every setting on both cars and compare.
2) Have Tesla pull the logs on both cars and tell you.

It’s also possible that you used the App to check your car several times. This not only wakes up the car but it also stops the car fresheners m sleeping deeply.

I once installed and enrolled several apps in my phones and the drain was about 10 miles every night. After all I figured I need just one app, the official one, so I changed the Tesla account password and now it's down to 1 mile per night.

10 miles is like 3 kWh and I think can broil a big turkey with that.

During Hurricane Harvey, we moved our S 100D to a parking garage for about a week.

When we dropped it off, we put it into "deep sleep" mode, turning on/off any setting that could affect battery usage - range mode (on), overheat protection (off), display sleep set to always, and disabled always connected.

This resulted in an extremely small amount of vampire drain - I believe it may have been as low as 1-2 miles of range lost per day.

Always connected seems to draw quite a bit of power.

A side effect of the "deep sleep" mode - Tesla tried to push an OTA update during this time - and the update failed to download several times, so the Tesla server took our caroff the update list - and the only way to get an update installed was a visit to the local Service Center or a mobile service van visit.

Compared to the vampire drain we saw early in the life of our S P85, if all of the energy savings settings are enabled, the drain is very, very small. Tesla really should add a "Deep Sleep" setting - to make it easy to enable this when leaving the car parked for an extended period.