TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Excessive vampire drain

Discussion in 'Model S' started by whitecotton, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

i have been working with my local service center to fix an issue where computers in the car are staying in when they shouldn't be. We have gotten the car down to under ten miles per night loss. How much loss are you currently seeing on v8.0. I have a P85.

I read a post from 2014 where someone pulled the fuse for the 12v cabin rail. What all is on that circuit? It seems to have made a difference in nightly losses.

2. grahamsimmonds

Mine was a bit excessive until I switched off TeslaLog. I am back down to 1% a night loss

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  3. Plug it in

Plug it in Member

Usually 1 mile or less per day.
    2016 P90DL

4. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I read where the vampire drain is more prominent in the 85 models than the late models released in 2016. Is this accurate?

5. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

My S85 loses about 1.2 kWh/day or between 3-6 rated miles.

6. jevan43

jevan43 Member

My p85+ loses anywhere from 5-12 miles OVERNIGHT. Raised it with SC and they said that's normal up to 15 overnight depending on temp..which was sorta laughable given where I live .. :/

7. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

All power saving modes?

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I plug mine in every night. So I have never noticed. I think I'll check. 15 mi overnight seems rediculous.

• Like x 1
  9. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

A normal wake cycle will consume roughly 600 Wh of battery. This number is retrieved directly by integrating my pack power draw over a 3 hour wake cycle using CAN. It may be higher if the pack heater comes on.

10. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

I lose about 2-4 miles overnight. I have always connected unchecked.

11. Blackstorm

Blackstorm New Member

HI, how can i switch Teslalog off ?

12. Jjdsyd

Jjdsyd Member

I have a P100D and my wife a X90D. We have just returned from 10 days’ holiday. We left both cars unplugged. My wife’s car had 72% charge when we left and mine had 70%. Both were set to Enery Saving but also to Always Stay Connected. My car was left underground in my car park at work. My wife’s car in our driveway. Temp would have been a constant 24 degs C for my car. My wife’s car would have got quite a bit hotter on several 30 deg days.

On our return I had 46% SOC while my wife’s car was 66%. So, I had lost 24% while my wife only 6%. This has me worried - why is the vampire drain so much worse in my car?

I have a TeslaFi account - my wife doesn’t. Could that explain the difference?

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

There are two steps you can take:
    1) Check every setting on both cars and compare.
    2) Have Tesla pull the logs on both cars and tell you.

It’s also possible that you used the App to check your car several times. This not only wakes up the car but it also stops the car fresheners m sleeping deeply.

14. Xtek

Xtek Member

Are you using TeslaLog or Teslafi? They keep your car awake and you will have excessive drain.

15. Kanting

Kanting Member

I once installed and enrolled several apps in my phones and the drain was about 10 miles every night. After all I figured I need just one app, the official one, so I changed the Tesla account password and now it's down to 1 mile per night.

10 miles is like 3 kWh and I think can broil a big turkey with that.

16. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

During Hurricane Harvey, we moved our S 100D to a parking garage for about a week.

When we dropped it off, we put it into "deep sleep" mode, turning on/off any setting that could affect battery usage - range mode (on), overheat protection (off), display sleep set to always, and disabled always connected.

This resulted in an extremely small amount of vampire drain - I believe it may have been as low as 1-2 miles of range lost per day.

Always connected seems to draw quite a bit of power.

A side effect of the "deep sleep" mode - Tesla tried to push an OTA update during this time - and the update failed to download several times, so the Tesla server took our caroff the update list - and the only way to get an update installed was a visit to the local Service Center or a mobile service van visit.

Compared to the vampire drain we saw early in the life of our S P85, if all of the energy savings settings are enabled, the drain is very, very small. Tesla really should add a "Deep Sleep" setting - to make it easy to enable this when leaving the car parked for an extended period.