Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive wear on leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received my Model S 8 months ago. Most of the time no one sits in the rear seats. About once a week on average, the kids will use the back seats and buckel themselves in.

I just noticed while vacuuming the car earlier today that I've got a spot on the rear seat leather where the leather's worn through.

I've never had leather wear through on any vehicle I've owned up until now. To have this happen with less than a year's light useage (that car gets driven heavy, but not much activity on the rear seats) bothers me greatly.

Is this sort of thing under warranty? What should I do?
2014-10-18 10.06.30.jpg

Did you ever have a car seat back there? I saw damage to my Explorer which was very similar.
A burr on the bottom left of the car seat was found to be the blame in that situation.
Were I you I would show it to the service center and prior to that contact Tesla.
Good Luck with it.

Zoom in on the photo... That's definitely damage from a sharp object, you can see some areas where it penetrated and then cut the leather. Since it is directly below the buckle, take a close look at the bottom of buckle on the seatbelt and feel for a burr.

Received my Model S 8 months ago. Most of the time no one sits in the rear seats. About once a week on average, the kids will use the back seats and buckel themselves in.

I just noticed while vacuuming the car earlier today that I've got a spot on the rear seat leather where the leather's worn through.

I've never had leather wear through on any vehicle I've owned up until now. To have this happen with less than a year's light useage (that car gets driven heavy, but not much activity on the rear seats) bothers me greatly.

Is this sort of thing under warranty? What should I do?View attachment 61700

Do you frequently put down the 2nd row? It looks like the seat belt latch may have caused the wear.

I'd love to hear the outcome of this. I feel it should be warranty

Kind of hard to say one way or another when looking at a picture on a forum, isn't it? When I blow the picture up, it DOES look like puncture marks. But maybe from the seat belt buckle, maybe from something else.

I think the OP and Tesla will need to do the detective work. I don't think there is enough information to form an opinion - at least not for me. It could go one way or the other ...

Is this sort of thing under warranty? What should I do?View attachment 61700

That's a very strange wear pattern for leather. Leather does not have a backing and it looks like the surface of whatever that is has been scratched off. I've not seen leather that wears in such a way.

That looks like the kind of wear that vinyl would show. I'm not sure about Tesla but maybe only the seat surfaces are leather and the sides vinyl -- that's the case in many cars.