Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive Wh/mi at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three guys from the German tesla rental company Tesla-Car-Rent took the three available Model 3 types P, LR, SR+ and drove in parallel 400km with constant speed of 130km/h and one charging stop on German autobahn, to find out which time each car need for that distance. There was only a time difference of 10min between LR and SR+.!!

Details you can see here https://www.tesla-car-rent.com/info/3m3_test/
The trip planner in all three cars calculated the exact remaining possbilble km for the end of the trip : 70km. I have never seen problems with not exact calculations.

Hello all! I'm new to the TMC forums and Performance Model 3 (with 20 inch wheels) ownership. I've been struggling with the range of my vehicle, as the computer never seems to accurately calculate expected energy consumption during long range trips; even after over 7,000 miles on the odometer. Using the data from the Tesla Range Table at Teslike.com and self procured data from recent trips, here are my following assessments:

According to TesLike's Range Table, at an average speed of 75 mph (average interstate speed limit in Texas) with the P3D+ 20 inch wheels, I can expect to travel 252 miles. Assuming that the battery's capacity is 75kWh, I can solve that the average Wh per mile is 297. (75,000Wh / 252).

During my last 164 mile trip, the navigation calculated that I should arrive with 22% battery capacity while starting with 91%. Assuming that the computer expect to use 69% of the battery or 51.75kWh (75kW of total capacity x 0.69), I can then calculate that the computer expected to average out at 315.549 kW/mi. (51,750Wh / 164).

Okay, now for real world results with an exterior temperature of 75*F at a top speed of 75 mph: 355 Wh / mi, which in theory would have knocked me down to 14% (164 miles * 355 = 58.22 kWh, 58.22 kWh / 75kWh = 0.776 battery capacity lost, subtracted from 91%), but in reality somehow knocked me down to 10%. I am *Not* driving aggressively and was using cruise control for the entirety of my drive.​

Observing this data, I'm finding that my real world energy consumption is 1.125 times more than the computer is expecting to draw, and 1.195 time more than the data from TesLike. I quite literally cannot trust the navigation's estimated capacity upon arrival, especially on trips with a charge in-between as it is quite unpredictable. On my 250 mile trip to my family's home, If I were to leave when the navigation system says I can, the battery would surely die far before my arrival.

I am concerned because this is not the battery performance / trip planning accuracy that I've witness from other Teslas owned by friends. However, Tesla's diagnostic team is telling me that the batter is functioning as expected.

I'm really not sure what to do, if this is actually normal, or how to go about it when Tesla is telling me that everything is fine. Does anyone have insight into this? or have a similar experience yourself?

The Model 3 battery is 75kWh but the user is only able to tap 72.5 to 73kWh.