Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Excessive Wind Noise from the right windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new MYLR mid October and I’ve been very happy with the car, except for wind noise coming from the right windshield area. It comes on around 40mph and by 60mph it’s very noticeable. It’s not related to the windshield wipers or the AC system in the car. I’m also fine with the road noise that’s present in general. This wind noise sounds like my wife’s an Audi Q5 when it has a roof rack and roof box on—like air turbulence.

I’ve uploaded a short video to show the noise that I’m referring to:

I had a service appointment and they stated that this sound was normal for a MYLR? For me, this is the one issue that I can’t seem to get over. I’d like some advice to see whether I should push this harder to have fixed, or if there’s anything I can do homebrew to fix it.

This might help. Good luck

I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
In my case the wind noise was actually from the windows and not the windshield.
1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.
2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.
3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.
4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.
5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.
6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,
Let us know of your progress....

I did not experience this until the windshield was replaced recently. It’s honestly the most annoying issue and masking it with turning the music louder is stupid imo.

From various threads, I’m leaning on the root cause being poor seal installments from the factory and service centers. I have my 7th appointment in two weeks with a better rated service center and will see if the lead/manager will consider inspecting the seals (noticeable gaps).

Reactions: Georgesb2
Picked up my new MYLR mid October and I’ve been very happy with the car, except for wind noise coming from the right windshield area. It comes on around 40mph and by 60mph it’s very noticeable. It’s not related to the windshield wipers or the AC system in the car. I’m also fine with the road noise that’s present in general. This wind noise sounds like my wife’s an Audi Q5 when it has a roof rack and roof box on—like air turbulence.

I had a service appointment and they stated that this sound was normal for a MYLR? For me, this is the one issue that I can’t seem to get over. I’d like some advice to see whether I should push this harder to have fixed, or if there’s anything I can do homebrew to fix it.
Hi xtekian, I have the exact same problem (and noise) in my Model S LR. Sending it in to the SC end of this month. Is it fixed with your car already? If yes, what did they do?

I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
In my case the wind noise was actually from the windows and not the windshield.
1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.
2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.
3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.
4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.
5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.
6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,
Let us know of your progress....
How did you achieve 4 and 5? i want to adjust my driver side window higher to form a better seal but don't know how to do it. I follow the instructions in the manual to adjust the window regulator but it didn't work.

How did you achieve 4 and 5? i want to adjust my driver side window higher to form a better seal but don't know how to do it. I follow the instructions in the manual to adjust the window regulator but it didn't work.
"
5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall."

4) I actually shimmed the rubber down. So I didn't write it correctly. I did that by pulling the rubber down and out and inserted a rubber tubing as a spacer.
5) The door latch mechanisms on both the car side and the door side should be adjustable. I followed a YouTube video.

I also shimmed the rubber outwards using the same method.

Sincerely,
George Borrelli
Crystal River, Florida

Did you get it fixed?

Update: I did move the window a bit higher. This is a difficult process in that it's tricky to get it correctly.
There's a procedure, which I did do, to adjust the position of the window in the track. There are two bolts you can loosen then reposition the window. Just be very careful with this process, as a lot can go very wrong. You can break the window, the window can hit the B Pillar glass, and you can make wind noises worse. I had to do many iterations until I felt it was correct. Here's a link to the process and a link to the process to tilt the window inwards.

Adjusting the entire window placement

Tesla Model 3 Window Track Adjustment
Tilting adjustment: