Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exchange 18 ft WC for the new 24 ft model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a new Gen 3 WC with the 18 ft cord on Aug 20th, it was shipped on the 23rd and received on the 29th. It was installed on Sept 8th. a week later they started selling the new one with the 24 ft cord. Now I find the 18 ft cord is too short of our charging needs. Previously we had a Clipper Creek with a 25 ft cord and the power source and parking arrangements to include built-in garage wall units/benches etc were based on that.

So for anyone that has gone through the return/exchange process are there any tips or suggestions you have that may ease my pain. Do I have to apply for a return authorization, repackage mine and send it first then buy a new WC then Tesla credits me back when they receive the old unit. I don't want to remove the wall plate if I don't have to so how does that work? Do they send me one minus the wall plate or do I use that one that comes with the new unit and return that one?

And here's a simple question, can the 18 ft cord be replaced by a 24 cord? Does Tesla offer that option? I sent them an e-mail 3 days ago and still have not received a reply.

Cheers

I ordered a new Gen 3 WC with the 18 ft cord on Aug 20th, it was shipped on the 23rd and received on the 29th. It was installed on Sept 8th. a week later they started selling the new one with the 24 ft cord. Now I find the 18 ft cord is too short of our charging needs. Previously we had a Clipper Creek with a 25 ft cord and the power source and parking arrangements to include built-in garage wall units/benches etc were based on that.

So for anyone that has gone through the return/exchange process are there any tips or suggestions you have that may ease my pain. Do I have to apply for a return authorization, repackage mine and send it first then buy a new WC then Tesla credits me back when they receive the old unit. I don't want to remove the wall plate if I don't have to so how does that work? Do they send me one minus the wall plate or do I use that one that comes with the new unit and return that one?

And here's a simple question, can the 18 ft cord be replaced by a 24 cord? Does Tesla offer that option? I sent them an e-mail 3 days ago and still have not received a reply.

Cheers
The cord swap takes about ten minutes, less if you hurry.

The real problem is getting the replacement cord, which I don't think Tesla sells. They probably don't want people screwing around with the innards of line-voltage-connected items.

For the swap of the entire unit, the base plate is not tied to the guts of the unit(no serial number or anything identifiable), so if you have a new 24', you can pop off the 18' and install the 24' without taking the old base plate off the wall. No electrician required, and its up to you if you even turn off the power(!) since the conductors are pretty well protected.