Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exchanging $$ and title for long distance sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive sold my S to another forum member across the country. Any tips on exchanging $$ for title and the car would be appreciated. I'm in California, he's on the east coast. We are just not sure of the best, safest way to do this.
Thanks for the help

I bought a roadster from someone on the west cost. I sent him a personal check as a deposit to take the car off the market. Then I wired him the rest of the money. He overnighted me the car title once he received the money.
Given this was a lot of trust on my part. We did connect via facebook and linkedin before I sent the money. He also sent me pics of him next to the car in order to verify he was in possession of the car.
I will admit I was still nervous when I sent the money but once the car was on the transport everything was all good.

This is one of the reasons I avoid private-party auto sales, if at all possible.

Not saying this as a dig to the parties in this transaction (I don't know either of them) but, as a general rule, the people who are really good at this are better at scamming people than I am about NOT being scammed.

Seriously. I would first consider flying to the sender's location. That way I can inspect the car and complete the transaction in person. For a car at this price point, it's totally worth it. The question of flying and shipping the car versus driving home would be a simple matter of logistics and convenience.

I bought my Roadster from Connecticut. I put the deposit down via PayPal through eBay. The seller sent me pictures of the paperwork and called his local service center and authorized them to discuss the car with me - which went a long way toward putting my mind at ease. I also ordered a mobile 3rd party inspection company for $110. They gave me pictures and a detailed report. After that I didn't feel it was necessary to fly out and inspect it in person. I wired the money, they sent the title and paperwork, and put it on the truck.

I bought my Roadster from Connecticut. I put the deposit down via PayPal through eBay. The seller sent me pictures of the paperwork and called his local service center and authorized them to discuss the car with me - which went a long way toward putting my mind at ease. I also ordered a mobile 3rd party inspection company for $110. They gave me pictures and a detailed report. After that I didn't feel it was necessary to fly out and inspect it in person. I wired the money, they sent the title and paperwork, and put it on the truck.
Thanks
This sounds like something we could do

You'll probably also want to agree on when the ownership changes hands (typically when the funds clear) and the new owner would arrange for shipping. Once on the truck it is technically in the new owner's possession so any damage that may (but likely won't) occur is between the new owner and the shipping company -- your hands would be clean. And he'll want to insure as soon as the funds clear...

Congrats Larry!

You'll probably also want to agree on when the ownership changes hands (typically when the funds clear) and the new owner would arrange for shipping. Once on the truck it is technically in the new owner's possession so any damage that may (but likely won't) occur is between the new owner and the shipping company -- your hands would be clean. And he'll want to insure as soon as the funds clear...

Congrats Larry!
Thanks
It's a difficult situation but we have it figured out I think-1/2 the $ wired now and once on the truck the other 1/2 wired and the title sent overnight. Something along those lines. Still considering Escrow.com however

You could also buy a round-trip ticket, if time is a factor.

Fly out, inspect the car, and verify it gets on the carrier, do the wire transfer with the seller, then Uber it back to the airport and fly home.

That's basically what I did with mine; however I bought from a dealer so, I trusted them enough to fly in, test drive the car, agree on the deal, then fly home and sort out the $$ and transportation after the trip.