Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exciting Charging Announcement Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Elon's quote re: the J1772 standard was that it is "crap". So, no, I don't see that happening. I suspect it will be an agreement with some major business(es) to installing chargers on highway locations. E.g. Starbucks, McD, or even outlet mall company.

I remember reading this as well, but we should take note that Tesla Motors is involved with the design and creation of the J1772 Combo Coupler according to the following link. It only makes sense that Tesla would adopt the Combo Coupler that is capable of up to 100kw charges which is better than the Tesla Superchargers 90kw ability. Let us not forget that Tesla Motors will be providing the drive train to Daimler who is on board with the new J1772 standard. Tesla already knows how to implement it into their own vehicles. All the large vehicle manufacturers in North America and Europe have agreed upon this new standard and it only behooves Tesla to get on board. Financially it makes sense in every way and the investors will love it.

Of course this is all just speculation. :)

Developments in the Standardization of Charging Electric Vehicles - Vol 13 Issue 2 | IHS

Just watched the annual shareholders meeting ... Elon made some strong suggestions that link solar energy and the supercharging network ...

And, while not necessarily related, he also mentioned there's something exciting they haven't announced yet with respect to battery swapping. "not showing all their cards" sort of thing.

Based on the answers to other questions and these two I just mentioned, I believe Elon at least really wants to revolutionize &everything* about driving an electric car. Key question is execution, but it was obvious to me he's thinking and trying much bigger than he's led on.

If they are solar powered that would reduce installation costs dramatically in some cases and operating costs in others.
You need a LOT of solar panels to produce 100kW of power, not to mention the SuperCharger should also work in the night.

So they'll probably compensate the used kWh's with solar energy, but a SuperCharger will still require a connection to the grid.

Imho it will only reduce operating costs, not the installation.

You need a LOT of solar panels to produce 100kW of power, not to mention the SuperCharger should also work in the night.

So they'll probably compensate the used kWh's with solar energy, but a SuperCharger will still require a connection to the grid.

Imho it will only reduce operating costs, not the installation.

I beg to disagree. The demand charges for a 100kW electrical connection are in the order of $1,000. Superchargers will be rarely used in the beginning but let's say 10 cars a day to top off, everyone between 40 and 60kWh. That gives 500kWh a day. Average use of the 100kW grid link would be 5/24 = 21%.
So my thought is Tesla will use storage batteries to smooth out electrical consumption of the supercharger's grid link. This can be easily enhanced with solar PV array, making even more sense to serve peak load during day and the occasional late night visitor. Best possible use of a battery storage is frequent cycling! Plus Tesla should have access to new & "used" Li-ion battery cells in large quantities.

And, while not necessarily related, he also mentioned there's something exciting they haven't announced yet with respect to battery swapping. "not showing all their cards" sort of thing

I hope this means I can go to the Tesla Service Center and rent a 85kWh battery pack so I can drive to Charlotte for the weekend!

So my thought is Tesla will use storage batteries to smooth out electrical consumption of the supercharger's grid link. This can be easily enhanced with solar PV array, making even more sense to serve peak load during day and the occasional late night visitor. Best possible use of a battery storage is frequent cycling! Plus Tesla should have access to new & "used" Li-ion battery cells in large quantities.

Sounds like a PERFECT use for old Roadster, and Model S packs.

I got the feeling while watching Elon during the shareholder meeting that the supercharger network could implement some type of battery swap system. It's being made out to be such a card up the sleeve and since the Model S has the quick swap capability, I wouldn't be suprised to see that this is part of it. Agree? Disagree?

That would be great BUT then Tesla would sell fewer 60 kWh and 85 kWh Model S'. I'm afraid profits trump perfection in this instance.

I don't see this happening for some years. I don't think they can roll out superchargers fast enough to meet the demand. Of course, it would be nice if they could but a supercharger every 200 miles is a lot of superchargers. The U.S. is not just the East coast and California, there's this big section in the middle too.

I got the feeling while watching Elon during the shareholder meeting that the supercharger network could implement some type of battery swap system. It's being made out to be such a card up the sleeve and since the Model S has the quick swap capability, I wouldn't be suprised to see that this is part of it. Agree? Disagree?

I suspect it depends on whether the equipment to do the swap is cheaper than the supercharger equipment. Putting a supercharger in El Dorado, KS makes sense. Having a shop there to do the swap isn't likely to be cost effective. And it's having the ability to quickly charge in places like that which is going to make the Model S a real car.

If they are going to implement a battery rental option, as Elon had mentioned as a possibility a few years back, it does pose some questions about the ability to use the Supercharger network. I see the battery swap as a rental at a regional Tesla service center as opposed to a network of swap stations. I would assume the vast majority of rentals would come from those that have 40kwh or 60kwh packs, but if the price was right I could see people with the 85kwh packs rent a pack for a long trip so as to not degrade their own pack. Tesla would already have the equipment at the service centers to do this and all they would have to do is keep a half-dozen or so 85kwh battery packs for rentals.

The question arises out of the availability of the superchargers for the rentals. I know if I was renting a larger pack for a long trip I'm going to want access to the superchargers. We all know that the 40kwh packs are not compatible and the 60kwh packs are going to need additional hardware and software to use the superchargers, but when you throw in the ability to swap for a larger pack either the hardware and software are going to be part of the battery pack or those that are not compatible or do not upgrade to use the Supercharger are not going to be able to use a supercharger even if they rent a larger pack.

If Tesla is going to offer the option to rent battery packs I hope Tesla doesn't exclude the 40kwh and non-upgraded 60kwh people from using the Supercharger network if they rent an 85kwh pack.

If Tesla is going to offer the option to rent battery packs I hope Tesla doesn't exclude the 40kwh and non-upgraded 60kwh people from using the Supercharger network if they rent an 85kwh pack.

There appears to be hardware required for Supercharging. If it wasn't ordered with the car (not avaliable on the 40 kWh car as you said), then borrowing a 85 kWh probably wouldn't give you the ability to use the Supercharger network but we don't know the specifics yet.

Again, I really don't think that the use case here is that you can rent a larger pack for long trips. We don't even know for sure that it is possible to just change the size of the pack. You might need different hardware and/or software configuration to handle the different sized pack. And, it would discourage people from purchasing the larger packs with their car!

I think it is far more likely that we will see that you are able to exchange your pack for one of the same size. I think the primary use-case will be for someone like myself that regularly makes the 480mi trip from Raleigh, NC to PA. I can stop at the service center in Washington and get a new 300mi pack to finish the journey. That way we don't have to take the wife's ICE and leave the Model S at home.

Since that battery pack is liquid cooled with cooling tubes and a pump, I don't see how there would ever be a practical way to offer quick battery swaps. Just like in the Roadster, I'm sure there are many cables and tubes that connect the battery pack to the car.

Since that battery pack is liquid cooled with cooling tubes and a pump, I don't see how there would ever be a practical way to offer quick battery swaps. Just like in the Roadster, I'm sure there are many cables and tubes that connect the battery pack to the car.
We already have threads on the battery pack. It's specifically designed to be changed relatively quickly. The power and coolant fittings are all on top of the pack and are of a quick connect/disconnect style.

This thread is really all over the place.