Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exciting new feature for anyone but HK...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new split of EAP vs FSD is really not good for HK. While we have limited autosteer (only on certain roads), the autopark feature that we could use has now been moved to the FSD package along with all the other stuff (like summon) that we won't be able to use anytime soon (due to our wonderfully shortsighted transport department and their desire to both cling to the past while turning a blind eye to the future).

our wonderfully shortsighted transport department and their desire to both cling to the past while turning a blind eye to the future.

Had this been a few years ago... I would have said the same... and even now while I dont disagree with the above statement... I think that with more and more EV coming onto the market this year and the future... many of those would also include similar autonomous or assistant systems... so it will eventually become mainstream and it will become something not even the TD can stop but face the reality.

And just like the public and even private charging issues HK has now... I sincerely hope that with much cheaper EVs like the Hyundai Kona Electric coming on the market... as well as Model 3 etc etc... the adoption of EV will take off again and cause an negative explosion on charging needs... forcing the government to face the fact that their policies both for public and private charging are colossally behind times. Maybe then we will see more public chargers and a policy to allow EV owners to install EVSE in their spaces.

I think if every parking space in HK has at least an 13A outlet... then faster charging becomes a less pressing concern and will overall be cheaper too as you have to park eventually... and if everywhere you park has 13A then you are always charging.

Had this been a few years ago... I would have said the same... and even now while I dont disagree with the above statement... I think that with more and more EV coming onto the market this year and the future... many of those would also include similar autonomous or assistant systems... so it will eventually become mainstream and it will become something not even the TD can stop but face the reality.

Looking at past behaviour it is obvious that TD has a problem with being pro-active. They wait for something to become an issue before responding. So, with FSD I think it will be a case of HK lagging several years behind others, rather than us leading the way. That is a shame.

I think if every parking space in HK has at least an 13A outlet... then faster charging becomes a less pressing concern and will overall be cheaper too as you have to park eventually... and if everywhere you park has 13A then you are always charging.

Agreed. And we don't even need every parking space to have that. If say 50% of buildings had charging, and given the choice of parking in two buildings close by, you would simply pick the one with charging.

The new split of EAP vs FSD is really not good for HK. While we have limited autosteer (only on certain roads), the autopark feature that we could use has now been moved to the FSD package along with all the other stuff (like summon) that we won't be able to use anytime soon (due to our wonderfully shortsighted transport department and their desire to both cling to the past while turning a blind eye to the future).

Wouldn't this be better for consumers in Hong Kong?
It will be considerable time until TD announces a timeline to implement revisions that cater to the 21st century (fingers crossed for before the end of the next decade). For the meantime, consumers can opt to just buy EAP since FSD wouldn't be relevant in the area.

Agreed. And we don't even need every parking space to have that. If say 50% of buildings had charging, and given the choice of parking in two buildings close by, you would simply pick the one with charging.

Just like housing, supply and demand dictate price. Properties that have a hesitant stance towards adapting EV infrastructure potentially allow for those that do to command artificially unreasonable prices. This wasn't too much of an issue when EV's were cost prohibitive and their owners generally had the affluence to charge at home, but now much more of an issue as EV's have started to come down in price. The government could/ should mandate new properties to offer charging facilities and or one time kickbacks for existing properties to retrofit an install.

The government could/ should mandate new properties to offer charging facilities and or one time kickbacks for existing properties to retrofit an install.

Government has already effectively mandates charging facilities for new properties. For the past few years, developers could only obtain GFA concessions for carparks if they are "EV enabled".

The issue is definitely with existing properties. For that, Government is offering very little. A carrot/stick is required.

Government has already effectively mandates charging facilities for new properties. For the past few years, developers could only obtain GFA concessions for carparks if they are "EV enabled".

The issue is definitely with existing properties. For that, Government is offering very little. A carrot/stick is required.

That's news to me. Good on them. But it sounds like a scenario ripe for malicious compliance abuse where certain spots could have the wiring built in but because of where its positioned or building management red tape, it's not allowed/ activated or purposely made impractical to hinder or prevent use.

The EV charging situation in NYC (2 different garages) : teslamotors

That's news to me. Good on them. But it sounds like a scenario ripe for malicious compliance abuse where certain spots could have the wiring built in but because of where its positioned or building management red tape, it's not allowed/ activated or purposely made impractical to hinder or prevent use.

It is early days (as it takes years for new buildings to be approved, build, and come online), but I've heard of a few success cases with this, and only two edge issues:
  1. One building had all the trunking, isolation switches, etc, in place. But a tiny meter room completely inadequate to the task. From discussions, this seems to be a one off issue, and probably against the GFA concession regulations anyway (which require meter room arrangements).

2. Another place was a public car park, with lots of nice "EV enabled" trunking, but no EVSEs on the wall. The idea behind "EV Enabled" is great; have everything in place so a car park space owner can simply and cheaply put his own EVSE on the wall with 30cm of wiring to connect it to the power. But in a public car park scenario, it becomes frustrating for EV owners. It seems that there should be further regulations on new public car parks, to have a certain percentage of spaces with EV chargers installed, not just EV charging enabled.
Overall, I am happy with this EV Enabled policy. It will solve the problem of EV charging in car parks, but will take decades to make an impact. The only way to fix the problem earlier is to address the issue of EV charging in existing buildings; but that seems something our current government doesn't seem to want to, or know how to, address.