Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exclusive first Model 3 Dyno

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure.... that's another way to approximate the force at the wheels.... or in this case derive it, which you then use that derived value to then in turn derive HP.

My point was that when you said: "No, dynos do not measure torque. If they did, you’d be seeing numbers in the thousands", many dynos do exactly do this. The fact that DynoJet estimates does not change the primes that the roller experience the torque applied to them after the multiplication factor of the gearing.

So the rollers DO see thousands of pounds of force. The fact that they don't display those numbers is because the computer takes in to account the separately specified gear ratio to determine what the shaft torque (and thus HP) is, and that's the value presented.
But you are not seeing shaft horsepower. The dyno is not measuring shaft horsepower. Like I said, I was on the phone for 31 minutes going ever exactly how this dyno measures power. Torque is not a factor. Acceleration delta and roller mass are the factors used. The engineer made it very, very clear that the dyno does not see, and cannot calculate the torque from those 2 parameters. It only sees force, which is not torque, because it's a linear delivery. I don't recall exactly how the engineer worded it, but "tangent," "linear," "force," "acceleration delta," "horsepower," and "not torque" were all used in one sentence to describe how the dyno measures power. I drew this kindergarten skill level picture while he was describing the way the dyno measures power. Since there is no load applied to the roller, there is no twisting force, thus, no torque. The dyno is measuring how long it takes for the roller to move from point "a" to point "b", and factoring in the weight of the roller to see how much linear force was applied to it. Torque is not a linear measurement. You would get the same data from running the car on a treadmill.

Attachments

• IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 67
Sure.... that's another way to approximate the force at the wheels.... or in this case derive it, which you then use that derived value to then in turn derive HP.

My point was that when you said: "No, dynos do not measure torque. If they did, you’d be seeing numbers in the thousands", many dynos do exactly do this. The fact that DynoJet estimates does not change the primes that the roller experience the torque applied to them after the multiplication factor of the gearing.

So the rollers DO see thousands of pounds of force. The fact that they don't display those numbers is because the computer takes in to account the separately specified gear ratio to determine what the shaft torque (and thus HP) is, and that's the value presented.

Do people typically dyno 1st or even 2nd gear?
The model referenced can do 2,000 ft-lb. The dyno drum is 24", so that might means it can handle 2000 lbs (at 12"),

A 2006 GTO has 400 lb-ft engine, 2.97:1 first gear and 3.46 rear axle for total gain of 10.27:1 . the rear wheels are 12.8" radius. So in first, it would be over capacity by 2x.
In 4th (1:1), pounds at the drum would be 1,384.

But you are not seeing shaft horsepower. The dyno is not measuring shaft horsepower. Like I said, I was on the phone for 31 minutes going ever exactly how this dyno measures power. Torque is not a factor. Acceleration delta and roller mass are the factors used. The engineer made it very, very clear that the dyno does not see, and cannot calculate the torque from those 2 parameters. It only sees force, which is not torque, because it's a linear delivery. I don't recall exactly how the engineer worded it, but "tangent," "linear," "force," "acceleration delta," "horsepower," and "not torque" were all used in one sentence to describe how the dyno measures power. I drew this kindergarten skill level picture while he was describing the way the dyno measures power. Since there is no load applied to the roller, there is no twisting force, thus, no torque. The dyno is measuring how long it takes for the roller to move from point "a" to point "b", and factoring in the weight of the roller to see how much linear force was applied to it. Torque is not a linear measurement. You would get the same data from running the car on a treadmill.

The act of the axle turning the tire is an application of torque.

At the contact point of the drum and tire, the torque has a level arm of the tire radius, and produces a force proportional to that. The force generated is tangential to the drum. There is not torque in the static sense, but torque is there. The axle is twisting the tire. The tire is twisting the drum.

The act of the axle turning the tire is an application of torque.

At the contact point of the drum and tire, the torque has a level arm of the tire radius, and produces a force proportional to that. The force generated is tangential to the drum. There is not torque in the static sense, but torque is there. The axle is twisting the tire. The tire is twisting the drum.
Yes, torque is there. It's quite possible I'm completely misunderstanding the engineer, but I know I didn't mishear him when he said torque is not being measured. If you take the 2500lb drums, and flatten them out over however long, and measure how long it takes for the car to move the drum the coinciding distance it would be as a roller, you would get the same exact power reading. I am no dyno expert, and I will never pretend to be, but the way it was explained makes perfect sense. Again, it's quite possible I'm misunderstanding what is happening, but there is no way I misheard him say "it does not measure torque."

The model referenced can do 2,000 ft-lb. The dyno drum is 24", so that might means it can handle 2000 lbs (at 12"),

A 2006 GTO has 400 lb-ft engine, 2.97:1 first gear and 3.46 rear axle for total gain of 10.27:1 . the rear wheels are 12.8" radius. So in first, it would be over capacity by 2x.
Usually whatever gear is closest to 1:1, to minimize calculations, losses, and excessive torque.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
Yes, torque is there. It's quite possible I'm completely misunderstanding the engineer, but I know I didn't mishear him when he said torque is not being measured. If you take the 2500lb drums, and flatten them out over however long, and measure how long it takes for the car to move the drum the coinciding distance it would be as a roller, you would get the same exact power reading. I am no dyno expert, and I will never pretend to be, but the way it was explained makes perfect sense. Again, it's quite possible I'm misunderstanding what is happening, but there is no way I misheard him say "it does not measure torque."

I think I get it. Your contact may have meant that in pure inertia mode, there is no force on the drum, i.e. no torque that the dyno applies or measures on the drum. If the drum were a sheet on a fructionless surface with equal inertia to the drum, and the car was held in place, there would be no torque on the sheet and the system would work the same. So there is no torque measure of/on the dyno.

Outside the dyno itself, the rear axle, trans, and motor do all have torque and that is producing the force being measured by the power and RPM readings of the dyno plus some math and specifications.

So the dyno does indirectly measure the vehicle's torque. But the dyno does not measure any torque directly.

Maybe?

I think I get it. Your contact may have meant that in pure inertia mode, there is no force on the drum, i.e. no torque that the dyno applies or measures on the drum. If the drum were a sheet on a fructionless surface with equal inertia to the drum, and the car was held in place, there would be no torque on the sheet and the system would work the same. So there is no torque measure of/on the dyno.

Outside the dyno itself, the rear axle, trans, and motor do all have torque and that is producing the force being measured by the power and RPM readings of the dyno plus some math and specifications.

So the dyno does indirectly measure the vehicle's torque. But the dyno does not measure any torque directly.

Maybe?
Sounds good to me. I’m trying to get dynojet to send out an engineer for the event, as they’d be able to do all kinds of stuff most operators don’t know how to do. If that happens, we will definitely have some fantastic data to go with everything.

Reactions: WarpedOne and mongo
Thought experiment:

A torque wrench is placed on a lug nut. The nut experiences 100 ft/lbs. of force (torque). How much force is being exerted on the end of the wrench handle?
Hmmm

I prefer thinking of a seesaw that may not have the fulcrum in the middle. On one side we have a passenger of known weight, a known distance to the fulcrum, and a known angular velocity. From those base units we can calculate power. Since power is conserved (ignoring losses at the fulcrum), we can infer the power generation at the other end.

Feel free to rip my notion to threads. My physics is pretty poor.

But you are not seeing shaft horsepower. The dyno is not measuring shaft horsepower.
Correct, hence my statement: "...the computer takes in to account the separately specified gear ratio to determine what the shaft torque (and thus HP) is"

Like I said, I was on the phone for 31 minutes going ever exactly how this dyno measures power. Torque is not a factor. Acceleration delta and roller mass are the factors used. The engineer made it very, very clear that the dyno does not see, and cannot calculate the torque from those 2 parameters. It only sees force, which is not torque, because it's a linear delivery. I don't recall exactly how the engineer worded it, but "tangent," "linear," "force," "acceleration delta," "horsepower," and "not torque" were all used in one sentence to describe how the dyno measures power. I drew this kindergarten skill level picture while he was describing the way the dyno measures power. Since there is no load applied to the roller, there is no twisting force, thus, no torque.[/quote]
Torque definition: "Torque, moment, or moment of force is rotational force.[1] Just as a linear force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object.

Torque is defined mathematically as the rate of change of angular momentum of an object. The definition of torque states that one or both of the angular velocity or the moment of inertia of an object are changing. Moment is the general term used for the tendency of one or more applied forces to rotate an object about an axis, but not necessarily to change the angular momentum of the object (the concept which is called torque in physics).[4] For example, a rotational force applied to a shaft causing acceleration, such as a drill bit accelerating from rest, results in a moment called a torque."

No toque applied from tires, no roller movement. That's simply physics. As for "It only sees force, which is not torque", by it's very definition torque IS rotational force.

So torque must be applied to the rollers (which have mass) to change their angular momentum (i.e. make them spin).

Now the DynoJet does not attempt to resist this force in order to attempt to measure it (as other dyno designs do), likely because it's cheaper to not try to do so. But the rollers are absolutely subject to it. It's what moves them. And that torque (force) has already been multiplied by the gear ratio of the driveline.

The dyno is measuring how long it takes for the roller to move from point "a" to point "b", and factoring in the weight of the roller to see how much linear force was applied to it. Torque is not a linear measurement. You would get the same data from running the car on a treadmill.

Give the rollers are moving about a central axis, there is no "linear" motion going on here at all. And as they rollers are stationary, but their rotational speed is increasing, hence that measurement along with their mass can allow you to derive torque and power.

So back to your point that "No, dynos do not measure torque. If they did, you’d be seeing numbers in the thousands", my point is that they DO experience "numbers in the thousands, regardless if it measures the torque on the drums directly, or it calculates it from mass of the drums and their change in RPM.

That dyno then divides by the final drive ratio (and a few other corrections) to estimate the value at the motor output shaft.

Think about it. The rear motor in a Tesla can easily make 400+ ft/lbs of force. The gear reduction is almost 10:1. Given that the radial distance from axle centerline to the tread of a 21" rim + tire is roughly a foot, the rollers are seeing ~4,000 ft/lbs of torque!

I think as close to 1:1 at the tranny is indeed the goal, leaving just the rear axle ratio as you suggested.

But your post illustrates the point that I was trying to explain, the drums DO see that much torque.... that's why I said @Mysterylectric had it backwards when he said "No, dynos do not measure torque. If they did, you’d be seeing numbers in the thousands. They have to reverse calculate the torque using the input gear ratio."

They measure (or derive) high torque at the rollers... they then calculate and display the lower torque at the motor shaft.

But your post illustrates the point that I was trying to explain, the drums DO see that much torque....

:)That's what I was going for. (Cars in 1st exceed dyno capacity, so test in higher gear where axle force is in range)
Roadster 2020 will be fun for dynos... 10,000Nm total, no gears.

Calculated or directly measured?
Deffinatly qualitatively. Although... all effort increases global entropy, so aren't all actions ultimately a waste of energy...

Reactions: scaesare
Correct, hence my statement: "...the computer takes in to account the separately specified gear ratio to determine what the shaft torque (and thus HP) is"

Like I said, I was on the phone for 31 minutes going ever exactly how this dyno measures power. Torque is not a factor. Acceleration delta and roller mass are the factors used. The engineer made it very, very clear that the dyno does not see, and cannot calculate the torque from those 2 parameters. It only sees force, which is not torque, because it's a linear delivery. I don't recall exactly how the engineer worded it, but "tangent," "linear," "force," "acceleration delta," "horsepower," and "not torque" were all used in one sentence to describe how the dyno measures power. I drew this kindergarten skill level picture while he was describing the way the dyno measures power. Since there is no load applied to the roller, there is no twisting force, thus, no torque.
Torque definition: "Torque, moment, or moment of force is rotational force.[1] Just as a linear force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object.

Torque is defined mathematically as the rate of change of angular momentum of an object. The definition of torque states that one or both of the angular velocity or the moment of inertia of an object are changing. Moment is the general term used for the tendency of one or more applied forces to rotate an object about an axis, but not necessarily to change the angular momentum of the object (the concept which is called torque in physics).[4] For example, a rotational force applied to a shaft causing acceleration, such as a drill bit accelerating from rest, results in a moment called a torque."

No toque applied from tires, no roller movement. That's simply physics. As for "It only sees force, which is not torque", by it's very definition torque IS rotational force.

So torque must be applied to the rollers (which have mass) to change their angular momentum (i.e. make them spin).

Now the DynoJet does not attempt to resist this force in order to attempt to measure it (as other dyno designs do), likely because it's cheaper to not try to do so. But the rollers are absolutely subject to it. It's what moves them. And that torque (force) has already been multiplied by the gear ratio of the driveline.

Give the rollers are moving about a central axis, there is no "linear" motion going on here at all. And as they rollers are stationary, but their rotational speed is increasing, hence that measurement along with their mass can allow you to derive torque and power.

So back to your point that "No, dynos do not measure torque. If they did, you’d be seeing numbers in the thousands", my point is that they DO experience "numbers in the thousands, regardless if it measures the torque on the drums directly, or it calculates it from mass of the drums and their change in RPM.

That dyno then divides by the final drive ratio (and a few other corrections) to estimate the value at the motor output shaft.

Think about it. The rear motor in a Tesla can easily make 400+ ft/lbs of force. The gear reduction is almost 10:1. Given that the radial distance from axle centerline to the tread of a 21" rim + tire is roughly a foot, the rollers are seeing ~4,000 ft/lbs of torque![/QUOTE]
It seems you misunderstood what I was saying, and it’s likely because I’m bad at wording things. Torque is being applied. It is not being measured. Torque measurement requires load. There is no load on the drum axis, thus, no torque to be measured. Like I stated in a previous reply, if the drums were flat, and their movement measured in the same fashion, you would get the same result.

Reactions: mongo