Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exclusive: GM will build Chevy Bolt in Michigan in late 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) plans to begin building the Chevrolet Bolt, its all-new $30,000 electric car, in October 2016 at an underused small-car plant north of Detroit, two supplier sources said.

Despite the heavy hype surrounding the car's unveiling last month at the Detroit auto show, the sources said, GM's production target for the Bolt is relatively modest, at about 25,000-30,000 cars a year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/05/us-autos-gm-bolt-idUSKBN0L92VL20150205

Yes for an EV that is a pretty good production number. Let's hope GM lives up to their announcement: the Bolt is a "sort of" Model 3 competitor (it seems significantly smaller than the 3 is likely to be) and competition is good. I do wonder where they are going to get all those batteries from...

I wonder if this will change the rather negative position a number of people had about this on the Bolt announcement thread a few weeks back...

It takes a lot of reality hits to get rid of hubris and group think ;)

Too true. Right now we have more on the Bolt than we do on the Model 3 (and almost as much as the Model X). I think it has a fair shot at making it to production.

I wonder if this will change the rather negative position a number of people had about this on the Bolt announcement thread a few weeks back...

Taking into consideration how often the media has reported misinformation about Tesla, what gives anyone the reason to believe the media has this story right? The GM source was not named, nor did a GM spokeperson care to comment. I'll wait for 'official' word from GM, tyvm.

"Relatively modest" by GM ICE standards. 25-30K cars is a pretty large number when you look at EV sales.

Right now, but I think a good $37.5k long-range electric, could sell pretty well. A $37.5k long-distance electric, on the other hand, would sell like Christmas' hot toy.

(Personally I'm either looking for a long-distance electric or I'll take a cheaper electric commuter,)

I think part of the modest target would be that they'd expect competition.

We haven't seen it yet. Just because GM "says", doesn't mean it will happen on time, on price, on battery range, etc. etc. They may have a beta out by 2016, but just getting it past crash testing so Mr. Everyman can drive it takes a while. I'm not worried about direct competition for Tesla.

Taking into consideration how often the media has reported misinformation about Tesla, what gives anyone the reason to believe the media has this story right? The GM source was not named, nor did a GM spokeperson care to comment. I'll wait for 'official' word from GM, tyvm.

Detroit News now says the official announcement will be next week:

GM to announce new electric car to be built at Orion

Sure, sure... throw in all the caveats you want about assuming it's not a mis-report, etc...

But the earlier arguments were that GM didn't actually announce plans to build the Bolt. Or that if they did it would be in minimal numbers to satisfy compliance requirements, or not poach batteries from the Volt, etc...

So assuming this goes forward as reported, does that change people's outlook?

Sure, sure... throw in all the caveats you want about assuming it's not a mis-report, etc...

But the earlier arguments were that GM didn't actually announce plans to build the Bolt. Or that if they did it would be in minimal numbers to satisfy compliance requirements, or not poach batteries from the Volt, etc...

The situation has not changed a bit, here's the latest GM response to these rumors (see update on bottom):
Bolt EV Concept is just that – a concept. We’re currently evaluating the vehicle program, but do not have any production announcements to make at this time
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-built-michigan-october-2016-opel-companion-ev-coming/

The situation has not changed a bit, here's the latest GM response to these rumors (see update on bottom):

http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-built-michigan-october-2016-opel-companion-ev-coming/

How about next week?

General Motors Co. is expected to announce next week at the Chicago Auto Show that it will build the all-electric Chevrolet Bolt at its Orion Assembly Plant in Orion Township, according to a source familiar with the automaker’s plans.

GM to announce new electric car to be built at Orion

The Detroit News usually has/had good sources at GM.

More competition, less margins ahead imho. So long.

None of those were caveats, but the truth of 'reporting' nowadays. Suddenly the information must be accurate because it's about GM and *the* Tesla killer, Bolt?

Well that's just it, isn't it? We have to make assumptions. How about we just wait and see what's said by GM, and then wait and see what they actually put on the road before claiming some sort of forum *I told you so* victory. If GM gets just one thing right, let it be the range of +200 miles on a single battery charge. That'd be awesome.

We'll see next week then, but at this point we still have no commitment by GM of any production schedule even though we have plenty of rumors and speculation (so basically the same situation as concept launch and the time leading up to it).

Ok. I doubt that the Detroit News is wrong about this, but you are correct--until we have the actual official announcement we won't know for sure.

But, hypothetically, if we get an official production announcement next week, can we put to bed the complaint about this being just a concept?