TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Executive Rear seats discontinued

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by necho, Jul 6, 2015.

1. necho

necho Member

Just played with the DesignStudio ... can't find the executive rear seats anymore. Are they discontinued?

2. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Gone from the US site too...

3. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

That was quick.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

it was a stupid option to begin with. why would anyone pay more for less seats?!?? it's a no brainer. and someone at tesla didnt have a brain when they came up with that idea.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I think it makes sense in certain situations. Maybe for Realtors or livery services? In any event, I see why the take rate would be really low.

6. Max*

Don't worry, there's a 3.0 rear executive seats options coming soon!

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I guess the executive 1.0 headrests weren't blocking the rear view enough.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

They may still be available in China, which I believe was the target market for that option (maybe Europe also?). But I can't access the China version of the Tesla website. Anyone?

9. marcad80

marcad80 Member

The Model S is way to fun to drive!

Nobody wants to buy such a nice seat for their chauffeur.

10. spentan

spentan Active Member

I ended up purchasing a CPO vehicle for my business (Livery Services),

but even if new, I'd rather spend $700 on a Premium Rear Console than having the Exec Rear Seats. The fact that you can't put the seats down, nor transport 5 total pax in a pinch, is just not worth paying extra for.

11. steph280

steph280 Member

Don't see it on Tesla Motors | 纯进å£è±ªåŽæ™ºèƒ½ç”µåŠ¨å››é—¨è½¿è·‘车 either.

These type of rear seat options are popular in China. So much so that Audi/Merc/BMW created long wheel base of certain models specifically for Chinese market. I rode in a Mercedes E350 with extended wheel base while in China and the difference is dramatic. It's popular there because most people with luxury car would have chauffeur driving it. It's not that the car isn't fun the drive, but the horrible traffic taking away all the fun.

12. blanche

blanche Member

I placed an order for a P85D yesterday, and the Tesla Rep informed me that the rear executives seats were being discontinued at midnight yesterday. So yes, it's officially discontinued in the US.

13. smilepak

smilepak Member

That was a stupid option to begin with. They were trying to make MS into a limo style similar to BMW 750 or Mercedes S where you have a driver.

what even more dump is the simple fold down center arm rest most cars have as standard to be cup holders, you have to pay 700 for. Which a few ppl complain on hinge issue defect.

14. Max*

I like the rear seats with no center console. Then you can comfortably sit 3 people, and no one has the ***** seat.

15. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You are viewing that option from an American perspective. In China that rear seat style is in demand as has been pointed out up thread multiple times. We do not yet know if the option has been discontinued in China.

16. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I actually looked into the option and, at the time, the problem was that the seat didn't recline. Maybe this was changed in later iterations. Had the rear seat reclined, as is the case in other cars, I would have seriously considered it.

17. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Also the executive rear seat meant you couldn't flip the seats down and had a much less usable trunk.
    One of my friends got the executive rear seat, he seems to like it. But he is a dumba55 in my pretty accurate opinion.

18. electracity

electracity Active Member

My guess is that they sold out of v1.0 and are manufacturing for the new chassis. That would indicated a Model S refresh with the X reveal.

19. smilepak

smilepak Member

True. I can see in Asia that might be popular. Because only the super rich are able to have cars of that size. Otherwise most of them use public transportation, bikes, or own very small car.

20. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I don't know. I liked the option, though it was a bit expensive. I rarely have to fit 3 across in the back, and the rare times when I do, it's not a big deal if the center lacks the same comfort as the sides. I can't remember what the exec seats looked like, but if they were missing a head rest for the center, that would be another bonus. I would rather have the visibility. Right now I drive a Volt, which is 2+2 with no center rear seat, and it's never been a problem.

Probably the only deal breaker, other than maybe the price, would be if you could not fold them down, which sounds like it might be the case based on one of the prior comments on this thread.

I've never in my life heard of a rear car seat that reclines. Some of you are coming from a different world I've apparently not visited.