Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Executive Rear seats discontinued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They must have been awfully tiny, because that's not my experience at all. To get the three in, the outside passengers had to open their doors and lean outwards to allow the center passenger to buckle up, then the center passenger had to kinda sit sideways a bit to allow the outside passengers enough room to close their doors. It looked really awkward in the rear view mirror. And I'm talking about three "normal sized" adults... two women and one man. Just this past weekend, we had company totaling 5 people, and we had to take two cars on all of our outings.

But you got the five adults in the car. That is really the point, I think. Not that it is necessarily comfortable. Four adults and a smaller child works fine.

The model X is not wider, so presumably the second row is not more functional than the S. Presumably the third row in the X will work for smaller adults. I am very curious about the interior functionality of the X.

But you got the five adults in the car. That is really the point, I think. Not that it is necessarily comfortable. Four adults and a smaller child works fine.

Yep, they were in there like sardines. Since then, if I ever have to go out with 5 people, we take two cars because everyone refuses to sit 3 across in the back. Since I have no practical use for the three across seating, this is why I was intrigued by the Executive Seat option. The only downside was that it didn't fold flat, which is something I have used on several occasions.

No Brainer Here

it was a stupid option to begin with. why would anyone pay more for less seats?!?? it's a no brainer. and someone at tesla didnt have a brain when they came up with that idea.

I purchased the seats because they are far more comfortable than the bench. Yes, the bench could seat 3 but I never, ever have 5 people in my car. My wife and Child. Beyond that, we use our other car. You should have sat in the seats!

I purchased the seats because they are far more comfortable than the bench. Yes, the bench could seat 3 but I never, ever have 5 people in my car. My wife and Child. Beyond that, we use our other car. You should have sat in the seats!

I am with you Brian, I was going to order that option as well. You were very fortunate to get them. I sat in them and they are / were very plush and comfortable. I have inquired and there is NO way to get them from Tesla any more. Sigh....

I certainly won't call you stupid for purchasing an option that suits you and your family. I think you have a brain and it's working just fine. :wink:

I have the Executive Rear Seats in my 2015 Tesla Model P85D that I took delivery of in March 2015, more than a year ago. I love these seats! It give my passengers in the rear a chance to enjoy riding in the back almost as much as I enjoy riding in the driver seat of the Tesla. I think it must be weird for those hired limo Tesla services driving their top paying passengers around on a bench seat. That is certainly an ideal market for the Executive Rear Seats. When I purchased this car I already had an order in for a 6-seat Tesla Model X. If I needed to carry a lot of cargo or more than 4 passengers, then I knew I'd eventually have the Model X which could do the job. Thus I opted to outfit the Model X as pure luxury for all passengers. Actually, this option did not exist when I placed my order for the Model X. When the Tesla Rep called me to verify my configuration just before my vehicle was scheduled for assembly he mentioned that an Executive Rear Seat option had become available. I liked the idea and went with it. I really hope that option comes back for future Model S vehicles and maybe even for a future Model X 4 seat configuration.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Sorry to revive an old thread, I just wanted to chime in too:

My previous car had "executive rear seats" (Jaguar) in it. My wife and I have two young boys. We considered these seats to be amazing for long car trips at keeping everyone "separate". Even adults really appreciated the room and comfort of having two distinct seats with a large console between them.

When we purchased our current P85D, I was very happy to see this option, even though it meant not having fold down seats. With the below floor storage in the rear, and the "frunk", we have never missed an opportunity to haul something because the seats didn't fold flat.

And the seat design is seriously much more comfortable than the bench. Finally I love not having the middle head rest for visibility out the back.

I was very surprised (and disappointed) that the option is now gone. We are looking to trade in to the new P100D and now have to investigate other options. I know that one company makes a rear seat storage unit, but that still leaves the center head rest and the seats that are not as comfortable. I'm even seeing if someone would install the executive seats from another Tesla into a new model. I'm sure someone is out there offering this.

In the end, calling this a "stupid" choice is weird. It was the right choice for us and we like it enough we are investigating other options before purchasing a new Tesla. That's never something a manufacturer should want. It would have been nice to just know I could upgrade the car and keep the same options I had before.

Will I still buy another Tesla? Sure. It's just more complicated now than it needed to be.

Until your post, I hadn't even thought about not being able to keep my Executive Rear Seats should the day ever come that I want to trade up my Tesla Model S (again!). Not having the ability to again purchase the rear seat option with a new Tesla will probably encourage me to stick with my current P85DL for a lot longer that I would have. The Executive Rear Seats just seem to make the Tesla much more into a luxury vehicle (matching its price class) than what seems more like a contemporary sedan, at least to the riders in the back seats. I do hope Tesla rethinks this and comes back with that option. Actually, I'd love to see it offered in the Model X. That would make one heck of a very luxurious and comfy limo or taxi still with plenty of luggage area. Executive Rear Seats
2016-01-09%2013.46.43.jpg

I agree. The center console does add class to the usual bench seat. Is that a standard option from Tesla now or is that still a 3rd party aftermarket item? How do you get it out of the way to seat 5? It doesn't look like it folds up. Do you somehow unlatch it and store it in the trunk?

I agree. The center console does add class to the usual bench seat. Is that a standard option from Tesla now or is that still a 3rd party aftermarket item? How do you get it out of the way to seat 5? It doesn't look like it folds up. Do you somehow unlatch it and store it in the trunk?
It latches behind the seat and is pretty easily removed for seating five or folding the seats down. Stays pretty secure when strapped in.

It was a Tesla accessory (not aftermarket) and is a shame that Tesla stopped offering it (they claim due to reliability issues (nearly all of them - mine included - broke at the hinge). It matched the interior finishes perfectly.

I wasn't aware the Tesla had an old option for the center console.

I currently use the front center unit sold by Avannex. The now sell a rear unit precisely because the executive rear seating is no longer available:

image.png

It looks sharp enough and if it's as nice and reliable as the front, it will probably have to do.

Though I am still looking for someone to install a real set of seats from an current Tesla that has them.