TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Executive Seating

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Canuck1966, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Canuck1966

Canuck1966 Member

I know they have been discontinued for the S. However, just curious if anyone else would welcome the Executive Seat option for the Model 3?
    This would of course eliminate the folding seats, limiting your storage space to the trunk and frunk.

I would welcome this configuration.

• Disagree x 1
  2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Nope, not for me.

3. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I, for one, find the interior to be sleek and functional, if short on luxury, and I would likely have opted for a luxury and well-finished interior. But I don't believe that Tesla's interior department is up to this and it might add very substantial weight and impair the range. So, I'm not certain. Since I DON'T get this interior, I do wish my second row seats (6 seater) folded down.

Attached Files:

4. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The Model S is just large enough to handle executive style seating. The Model 3 is nowhere near large enough for that to work well.

• Like x 2
  5. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

If it's more comfortable and doesn't add significant weight, I'll take a seating upgrade option for sure.

6. Colsla

Colsla Member

that will most likely be leather seats and interior lighting etc as part of premium package. I doubt Tesla will explore any options like executive seating when they already expect to lose money on Model 3 at the beginning. Maybe a couple of years down the road? who knows, but certainly not from the beginning.

7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Source for this?

8. Fiver

Fiver Member

While the 3 might be profitable once it's finally rolling off the assembly line, they have been very clear that the model 3 program has been very capital expensive. So many massive pieces need to be in place to pull this off, and they all are costly. The gigafactory, building out Fremont to not only a new line, but a new, highly automated line designed to output cars by a factor of 10 compared to existing lines and more. All the tooling to make the parts of the car, much less the initial ground up design of the car and also new battery chemistry/form factor/pack and the car has to be easy to manufacture in the first place.
    All of these up front costs and more will take a looong time to pay off in returns from the 3.

If you factor out all those costs, and just ask build price (materials, labor, shipping, delivery) then the car might be profitable day one @$35k but it will be close....

9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#9 BluestarE3, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Aren't you conflating assets with expenses? Factories and equipment are the former; materials, labor, shipping, etc. are the latter. Depreciation of the assets is an expense, but that's spread out over the life of the assets and borne by all products that utilize that asset (for the Gigafactory, that's not just Model 3, but also Models S/X, Tesla Energy, future Model Y, pickup, semi, etc.). Highly unlikely Tesla will be selling the Model 3 at a loss.

10. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Love ours FB_IMG_1490118238560.jpg

11. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Member

Not an option for a guy with three kids. :)

• Like x 1
  12. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

The middle divider usually flips up to provide a middle seat when needed. Mine does on my Lexus hybrid.

Attached Files:

13. ex-bimmer

ex-bimmer Member

yup, just what the mother-in-law needs.. to feel like an executive :p

• Like x 1
  14. Indpowr

Indpowr Member

Does not flip up in ms

15. arnis

arnis Member

Many of us expect rear middle handrest with cup holders and maybe even a pass-through for skis.
    If you make the handrest good enough we can call 3-passenger rear seat for 2 "executive enough".
    I hope Tesla doesn't f**k up with rear middle headrest - it must not obstruct rear visibility if lowered.
    I also hope Tesla will not go too far and make 5th passenger butt feel like it's sitting on a small stool
    covered with thin padding (something BMW did with 5-series).
    [​IMG]

16. zachcsnyder

zachcsnyder New Member

I think about this from the perspective of what an interior will look like when level 5 autonomy is the norm-will we soon go to rear-facing front seats with a table in between or something like that? I can see a larger market for executive seating when it's completely practical to take a 4 hour trip from say, DC to NYC when you might have otherwise taken Amtrak/flown