TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Exhaust = Secondhand Smoke

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Driver Dave, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Driver Dave

Driver Dave Member

Side effect from driving a Tesla:

All those tailpipes on our roads become really evident.

The gas cars now feel like smokers in a restaurant....

Anyone else get this impression?

Especially in traffic....

• Like x 9
    • Love x 1
  2. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

what's slightly worse, now I notice all those big smelly exhaust pipes in cars on the road or in the showroom...

asking why so loud and smelly?

3. DriverOne

DriverOne Supporting Member

I can't help think of them as chimneys.

• Like x 1
  4. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Absolutely, can smell them more now. I hate driving my company vehicle since it's an ICE. I can get a Tesla as a company car but I need to make it to VP. Dang, not smart enough to get there..... :(

5. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

To me it was worse before I got my Tesla. The new HEPA filter works wonders. I love no longer contributing to the problem. It's sickening that we are no further along than this. Our government should have been making alternative energy top priority since at least the oil crisis of the 70's, but they were too busy using our tax dollars building the military industrial complex:eek:

• Like x 1
  6. swaltner

swaltner Member

Not horrible traffic here, so I rarely notice fumes on the road, but I do notice this on no-wind days while walking out to the parking lot at work when it's colder than 40 degrees. People are letting their cars warm up for a minute, putting out particularly nasty exhaust, since the air/fuel mixture is all wonky when an ICE first starts.

• Like x 1
  7. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I notice the sound constantly, and the odors too when in congested areas.
    But I've got to admit a guilt pang.....I saw a sweet looking boxster last week with the single exhaust centered in the back. I thought it was a beautiful looking car all around.

I have these pangs from time to time to put a classic 'something' in the garage....like a split back vette.
    Afraid I'll need to die off before I can let go off the history, memories and joy ice autos have played in my life.

• Love x 1
  8. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

Not only do they feel like smokers, the exhaust has the same nasty stuff that cigarette smoke has, i.e. benzene, formaldehyde, etc. Diesel exhaust contains up to 40 hazardous pollutants. There has also been nano-particulate matter found postmortem in human brains.

Vehicle Exhaust | Environment & Human Health, Inc.

This knowledge has changed my behaviors. I've stopped biking on any road that is at least moderately busy. I also always choose to walk or run on the side of the road where the wind is blowing from so it takes the vehicle exhaust in the other direction. Full disclosure, I still drive an ICE (M3 on reserve). I'm leaning heavily towards the bioweapon defense mode option on the M3 for these reasons.

• Informative x 1
  9. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yeah I stuggle with this too. I have 45 years worth of ICE experience. I want to hate all ICE cars but can't do it, the sound of a V8 will always stir my soul. Fortunately it'll go away in the next generations. There was a beautiful sounding Maserati driving beside us the other day. I secretly loved the sound but when I asked my boys about it they were "meh, it burns gas dad" :D

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

During the winter I drive my ICE car a lot less, and I'm sure a lot of that is simply because I notice the exhaust from other cars so much more.

Where it's a subconscious push to drive the Tesla everyday.

Well there is that, and being able to remotely turn on the heater before walking to my car. Being warm and toasty on the way home from work is a pretty big push as well.

ICE owners just don't know what they're missing.

• Like x 1
  11. HebrHmr

HebrHmr Member

It is definitely more noticeable outside the car but I smell less with the hepa. Parking the Tesla and getting into my HMMWV at work is a nightmare. Especially when it's cold and people run them all night for heat.

12. tander

tander Active Member

#12 tander, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    I have a Grandma with COPD (mostly from smoking for decades) and I made sure she always drives her car with re-circulate on and I wonder how much better off she'd be without all those years of car exhaust (and of course smoking). I haven't switched to electric yet but I do always drive with a charcoal filer on and usually recirculate.

The second hand smoke is a great analogy, unfortunately it took a long time for second hand smoke to finally be outlawed, hopefully the practicality of electric cars will be faster, can't wait for an electric truck and suv.

• Like x 1