Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing inventory - new cars - should i be suspicious ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i'm about to buy a car that is showing in existing inventory.
Car is new, less than 5mi.

But, I find this odd.

Why is there some cars in inventory, while some people have been waiting for weeks/months for their car ?

Could it be rejected cars ? Should i be suspicious about that ?? :D

To my understanding, they're not in inventory for very long. Matching up orders with cars seems to be an active human process at times, so it makes sense that there are sometimes cars sitting somewhere not currently assigned to anyone.

Of course, there are also rejected deliveries, worth mentioning but probably more rare that this is the case.

Depends on time of rejection. If the car is never accepted at delivery the car remains new as it has never been titled. If the car was accepted initially and rejected during the trial phase it will be sold as used as the titling paperwork was processed at delivery.

The new inventory car you are shown may very well have been rejected my someone else. The good news is that the problem may have been corrected since the first delivery attempt or an issue minor enough where you don't really care about it. Whether your car is straight from the factory or existing stock you should always go over it thoroughly. Paint flaws are pretty common but gaps and alignments are pretty well sorted now. Any problems you find can be put on a due bill at delivery if you are okay with repairs. I had one door adjusted to line it up and the SC did a great job.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
,,,Should i be suspicious about that ?? :D

Yes, you should.

To clear up suspicion, Tesla should clearly post on the web the reasons:

Some reasons may not have anything to do with the car quality:

1) failed to finance
2) prospective owner didn't make it (as in pass away and the estate didn't bother to complete the purchase)
3) owner changed their mind
4) no room for extra showroom display

Others might have something to do with quality:

1) Showroom display: Lots of people have been touching, climbing in, sitting in the car while the odometer remains static.
2) Test Drive car: unlikely in this case due to only 5 miles on the odometer
3) Loaner car: unlikely in this case due to only 5 miles on the odometer
3) Rejected by owner due to some kind of owner's own standard of quality check such panel gaps, paint...
4) Quality not acceptable by Tesla and now has been remedied (young intern backed the new car up and hit the pillar...)

So on and so on...

"New" here is a legal word which means it has been never registered which could actually be very old in real life due to encountering numerous people/drivers wear and tear as a displayed car, test drive car, loaner car...

Reactions: jjrandorin
Are you suspicious of all the other cars sitting in dealers around the world?

The factory makes cars in batches. If there aren't existing orders for all the cars in a batch, they become inventory cars.

And yes, the buyers agreement will show that the car has 50 miles on it, they all do, but the cars don't

Reactions: shanki