Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing inventory pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that prices have somewhat dropped for existing 2019 inventory. I found MX 100D with very low miles starting in $89,000. There are some that are $10k more and I’m comparing the options and other than wheels and lighter headliner, there isn’t much difference. So why the huge difference in prices?

I noticed that prices have somewhat dropped for existing 2019 inventory. I found MX 100D with very low miles starting in $89,000. There are some that are $10k more and I’m comparing the options and other than wheels and lighter headliner, there isn’t much difference. So why the huge difference in prices?

Could be a variety of reasons. Some of the inventory models are demo or showroom or loaners, and take a bigger hit. I've inquired about a number of them over the past few weeks, some have minor scrapes, damage, or blemishes, while others are clean and clear. It does seem like the older ones are getting the bigger discounts, even without an increase in mileage versus ones that were made later (based on VIN).

Also, at least one of the 6 seaters isn't actually a 6 seater, but a seven, and incorrectly cataloged in the system.

It sold. It had 50 miles with a six seater configuration. Black on black. 100D for $89k. Not bad for a 2019.

I recall seeing some P100D six seater configuration black on black for $105k with 150 miles. Not bad either for a 2019.

Think prices will continue to get better later on this year?
Also, what is the quickest way to get pictures? Sometimes I ask for pictures but it’s a hit or miss on when they actually get back to you. Is it better to go to a store and talk to someone?

With the current inventory pricing of 100D vs new refresh SR, which is of better value?

Definitely a couple other threads on the matter. I'm going through that debate as well.

The biggest reason to go with the existing inventory would be range and battery (100 Battery versus 75 in the SR). With battery degradation being a real thing, you have to figure out how long you plan to retain the vehicle. The EPA range is an "ideal" range that most never achieve, and, you are most likely not going to charge to 100%, so, you are starting with a range reduction off EPA on a normal day, combined with real-world range restrictions.

However, the refresh models do feature the newer suspension system, the ability to charge at higher rates on a SuperCharger, and, of course, the new motor.
The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

There really isn't a good answer to the question. However, if range reduction isn't going to be a concern in the long run, then, potentially the newer refresh model is a better bet. But, if you need every ounce of range, then, of course, the larger battery with the older technology would be a better bet.

Reactions: candy_sr
Definitely a couple other threads on the matter. I'm going through that debate as well.

The biggest reason to go with the existing inventory would be range and battery (100 Battery versus 75 in the SR). With battery degradation being a real thing, you have to figure out how long you plan to retain the vehicle. The EPA range is an "ideal" range that most never achieve, and, you are most likely not going to charge to 100%, so, you are starting with a range reduction off EPA on a normal day, combined with real-world range restrictions.

However, the refresh models do feature the newer suspension system, the ability to charge at higher rates on a SuperCharger, and, of course, the new motor.
The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

There really isn't a good answer to the question. However, if range reduction isn't going to be a concern in the long run, then, potentially the newer refresh model is a better bet. But, if you need every ounce of range, then, of course, the larger battery with the older technology would be a better bet.

Thank you! That’s a really great point about battery degradation. What’s the battery degradation in 5 years? any statistics on it?

The new refresh is a different battery that has more range and is faster. I just saw that the 0-60 is 4.4 seconds instead of 4.7 seconds. But isn’t everything over the air now, meaning can’t you take the inventory cars and upgrade the software to make it faster?

The new refresh is a different battery that has more range and is faster. I just saw that the 0-60 is 4.4 seconds instead of 4.7 seconds. But isn’t everything over the air now, meaning can’t you take the inventory cars and upgrade the software to make it faster?

This is incorrect. The batteries haven't changed. One of the two motors has. It's more efficient, yielding more range and a bit more acceleration out of the same 75/100 kWh batteries.

As for the main topic, we're debating this ourselves right now. There's an inventory 100D here with < 200 miles and basically our desired config (Red, cream, 100D, EAP) with a $17k discount. I really want the improved range and suspension, though.

Do you folks think there is a time in the year where there generally has the best prices and highest inventory?
Supposedly the last few weeks of each calendar quarter are when the big discounts are available.

So, near the end of March, June, September, and December... Keep in mind that next month is the last month door the current federal tax rebate amount, deliveries after June will drop it down (even if you order in prior to that, it's the delivery date that counts).

You need to forget about model years and such with Tesla. Tesla adds significant changes to cars throughout the year. As soon as they can get the feature working, they add it to the production line.

So 2 cars listed as a specific year, one car may have changes and other may not. In 2018 they changed the display systems computer to a much faster version (32-bit to 64-bit) and AP mid year. So far in 2019 they have changed out one motor to one that uses permanent magnets resulting in faster acceleration and better mileage (less consumption). Who knows what other changes will come along throughout the year.

Also a word of caution about inventory cars. Very low mileage demonstrators can be cars that sit in stores including mall stores. They may have had thousands of people climb through them and multiple years worth of butts in seats, kids shoes, door closures, seat back raises and lowering, etc. Also, standard accessories (charge adapters, tow packages,etc.) sometimes go missing.

This is not to dissuade you from buying an inventory car, just make sure you get pictures of the car, make sure you are happy with it's condition before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: Zaxxon and candy_sr
So is it safe to say that after June, because there’s no more federal tax credit, at the price of the new model X will be cheaper?
Not at all. There aren't guarantees on anything. Tesla just raised prices across the board due to tariffs, so, the best time to but is when it makes sense to you.

Remember that the federal credit isn't "money off" or a rebate, as most people and even Tesla describe it as. It's a tax credit and reduces your taxable liability.