Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Inventory V5C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed a custom order for a model 3 last week but saw one that matched my order on existing inventory.

I spoke to the sales rep I’ve been in contact with who said it was a showroom car, done under 50 miles etc. Came into the UK in June.

Forgot to ask about the V5C though. Does anyone know if existing inventory cars purchased have you listed as the first owner, or are these cars considered pre-registered so you end up being the second owner?

We took an existing inventory M3 and the V5 shows us as first keepers. However, existing inventory cars are (mainly?) simply cars in the pipeline (on a boat, at the docks, in storage ...) that have not been allocated to a customer. I'd be careful with one in the showroom to check that it hasn't already been registered as a demonstrator. Not likely to have been, but not difficult to ask. ... And what is the registration number going to be? If it's going to be a 71 plate then it has to be registered this month, so unlikely to be registered already.

Upvote 0
Tesla doesn't pre register any of their cars. They dont have to since they are the manufacturer.

If it was advertised as new, then you will be the first registered owner. Do bare in mind that even ex demos can be listed in the inventory as new even with a few thousand miles. Also if this was the case you would be the first owner. At under 50 miles its a pretty safe bet but as usual do inspect that all is as it should be or shall we say "within spec" 😆

Upvote 0
Tesla doesn't pre register any of their cars. They dont have to since they are the manufacturer.

If it was advertised as new, then you will be the first registered owner. Do bare in mind that even ex demos can be listed in the inventory as new even with a few thousand miles. Also if this was the case you would be the first owner. At under 50 miles its a pretty safe bet but as usual do inspect that all is as it should be or shall we say "within spec" 😆
If a demo car then it has to be registered to be allowed on the road. They don’t use trade plates for demos so you’d be the 2nd owner.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone, will double check with them tomorrow. Delivery for my custom order is November earliest so if I can get an existing inventory in a few days/weeks I’d rather do that.

He did say the car came into the UK in June so it’s obviously been here for a while, do they not need to register the car if it’s just sat in a showroom then?

Upvote 0
There is a slim possibly that another Customer has rejected the car but in that case I would expect it to have been Registered. I would urge caution Tesla are not as transparent as you might expect them to be and it's a lot of money to drop on a possible lemon.

Upvote 0
Surprisingly not that quick today, I ordered one of them at least 2.5 hours after they’d been added, although there were only two left by that point.
By the your avatar picture I assume you ordered the LR with white seats and enhanced autopilot. There was only that and the black SR+ with white seats and tow hitch left in the end. I did try and order a grey SR+ at 12:00 to tie me over till the Y comes and would then sell the now 1 year old SR+ we have here but by the time i finished putting the card details in it was gone! :mad:

Upvote 0
By the your avatar picture I assume you ordered the LR with white seats and enhanced autopilot. There was only that and the black SR+ with white seats and tow hitch left in the end. I did try and order a grey SR+ at 12:00 to tie me over till the Y comes and would then sell the now 1 year old SR+ we have here but by the time i finished putting the card details in it was gone! :mad:
Yes I have reserved that one, keeping my fingers crossed that they can remove the EAP!

Upvote 0