TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Existing Model S owners: how many would sign up for Model X soon?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mspcooper, Sep 15, 2014.

1. mspcooper

mspcooper Member

Being a Signature Model S owner, I'm reluctant to sign up for Sig Model X, I might consider waiting until they are delivered before buying one? What are your thoughts.

2. flashflood

flashflood Member

Not me. Set aside the falcon doors debate: the main issue is that the X is just too similar to the S. I can't see any reason a single driver would own both. (A family, sure.) A new convertible, on the other hand, I would snap up in a heartbeat.

3. LGGD

LGGD Active Member

I will probably put down a deposit for a Model X once my Signature Model is S actually delivered.

I certainly wont be placing a Signature deposit for a Model X due to the lack of choice on options with a Signature edition.

4. TesAus

TesAus Member

My wife is keen on getting an X, but I want to see what the experience of Model S ownership is like for a few months before putting all of our eggs in one basket.

5. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

We actually have a reservation right now.
    We definitely will be waiting however, to see if the model X comes with adaptive cruise control and brake assist.
    Otherwise, it isn't enough of an upgrade over our S's

6. joer00

joer00 Member

I think the MX is ugly. For me the MS is already to big. I had an A5 before and would love to have a coup or convertible.

7. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Model S is at (past really if I wanted to be honest with myself) the price limit for me and certainly at the size limit. An X would be far too large. A Model 3 would be perfect size but I fear that it won't have the range so it's an S for me.

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

My wife is really eager for the X. We have a sig reservation, but will wait until options are released before deciding if we'll stick with sig, or drop down to production.

...though, I'm from the US and just realized this is a thread for Aussies :p

9. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I would love to get a X to replace our hybrid SUV, but will probably wait and get the Model 3 to go along with our MS

10. caddieo

caddieo Member

I would love to have one by late next year but I have trouble convincing the Missus. She absolutely loves driving the P85 and often wonders out loud if and when we can use it for our trips to Chicago. But every time I bring the X up in conversation she always comes back with the idea of having a gas or hybrid SUV as the back-up for the P85 in case there is trouble with the electrical grid from any cause and/or our house is without power for more than a few days. Sigh. However, last week she off-handedly asked if any galleries or service centers have an X on display. Hope springs eternal.....

11. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Waiting until we can see it in person and if we like it, we will be ordering one. The lease on our GMC Acadia goes to September of 2016. Should work out well if the X is unveiled on schedule.

12. danielp

danielp Member

I took a close look at this just a few days ago and decided not to. Tesla has not released any signature model S yet in Australia so I struggle to see any value in waiting an unspecified amount of time, no commitment to produce them in order and no commitment to deliver them any way. I can see how the program made sense for model S ... Once bitten...

13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Not interested. Too big, and I don't need a 4WD. Even S is too big, but I want a real car. BMW, Nissan and Mitsubishi don't cut it. This is my protest against feeding Arab sheiks.

14. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Definitely not Sig X. I'm done with Tesla's Signature Series because in my view they haven't completely delivered on promises. But I do currently hold a production X reservation.

15. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

This and a a single finger salute to the Coles and Woolworths petrol duopoly.

16. mspcooper

mspcooper Member

Not to worry

The question was meant for all Model S owners, regardless of where they live. In Australia, we have been kept in the dark for too long about the launch. It is so secretive, to a point it is so absurd. Yes, they are listed on the share market, so are most companies. It doesn't take much to say what month the car might arrive for first shipments. Just wanted to know if the experience has deterred anyone from placing a deposit for Model X etc.

17. danielp

danielp Member

mspcooper - my decision to not participate in the signature program for model x was directly related to lack of delivery of any model S today, and more so because of their communication policy.

Unless they can turn around things here quickly and rebuild trust, for me this means that the next point for consideration of model x is well after they demonstrate they can deliver a production X within 90 days on order. That could be a while away so they'll loose a sale (my current AWD will need replacing next yr so we miss the window).

Let me say I'm still excited about our eventual model s launch, but this market is going to suffer and be a real slow start unless their game is lifted.

I hope Tesla does not associate our perceived lack of interest in EV locally. It is going to take time for this market to establish because they are late ...

18. timpoo

timpoo Member

I'm saving my money for the new Roadster. I want something nimble that can go 0-100 in sub 4 seconds and handles like a Porsche.

I personally hate 4WD and think they are a hazard and blight, so not even Tesla escapes that!

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

How so?

20. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I agree. The only reason we have 4wd in the city is because they are preferentially taxed and so cheaper than an equivalent sized car or station wagon which would do exactly the same job as a moms taxi, most of the time. Over sized fuel guzzlers they are.