Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Model S owners: how many would sign up for Model X soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Part of it is safety, part of it is aesthetics, and part of are the people who drive them (HUGE generalisation, just in my area).

Safety: you can't see through them or around them in any way. Being able to see through the car in front of you I think is a huge benefit in assessing the condition of traffic further up. They are also a hazard for children, I can probably find the statistics.

Aesthetics: this is obviously a very subjective view - I don't like how they look on the road. They also take up more space for parking.

Attitude: in my area (inner south east Melbourne), those who drive 4WD have a very much "get out of my way" attitude. They have very little regard for other cars. Again, I say this is just my experience and obviously it doesn't apply to many many 4WD drivers.

BUT if you have a 4WD that actually goes 4 wheel driving I think that's awesome.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot most 4WD are huge gas guzzlers. Obviously the Tesla won't be like that.

Every time I think about 4WDs, I think about a joke I heard from Dylan Moran, when he was talking about Hummers (which I know are extreme versions). "How small does your dick have to be, seriously, to walk into a car dealership, and say I need a car the size of a schooool, so people know I'm around".

But please - don't take offense at my own subjective view :)

Part of it is safety, part of it is aesthetics, and part of are the people who drive them (HUGE generalisation, just in my area).

Safety: you can't see through them or around them in any way. Being able to see through the car in front of you I think is a huge benefit in assessing the condition of traffic further up. They are also a hazard for children, I can probably find the statistics.

Aesthetics: this is obviously a very subjective view - I don't like how they look on the road. They also take up more space for parking.

Attitude: in my area (inner south east Melbourne), those who drive 4WD have a very much "get out of my way" attitude. They have very little regard for other cars. Again, I say this is just my experience and obviously it doesn't apply to many many 4WD drivers.

BUT if you have a 4WD that actually goes 4 wheel driving I think that's awesome.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot most 4WD are huge gas guzzlers. Obviously the Tesla won't be like that.

Every time I think about 4WDs, I think about a joke I heard from Dylan Moran, when he was talking about Hummers (which I know are extreme versions). "How small does your dick have to be, seriously, to walk into a car dealership, and say I need a car the size of a schooool, so people know I'm around".

But please - don't take offense at my own subjective view :)

OK, so I guess you're using 4WD to mainly mean what we'd refer to as SUVs here. I thought you meant you had an issue with 4-wheel drive (or all wheel drive) vehicle technology (as in, just about all Audi sedans are all wheel drive, but they are not SUV-sized).

OK, so I guess you're using 4WD to mainly mean what we'd refer to as SUVs here. I thought you meant you had an issue with 4-wheel drive (or all wheel drive) vehicle technology (as in, just about all Audi sedans are all wheel drive, but they are not SUV-sized).

yep that's it.

Nothing against all wheel drive technology! Most recent AWD I've driven is the Mercedes A45AMG. Man that is a beast of a small car, but no Tesla!

SUVs are also known in many parts of Australia as Urban Assault Vehicles. You should try driving behind one in my smart!

SUVs in Australia have historically been 4WD only. My understanding is that there was (is?) a 10% import duty on 2WD vehicles, but only a 5% duty on 4WD vehicles. I believe that this was to maintain the affordability of vehicles for farming and other rural industry.

When SUVs began appearing, the difference in import duties meant that the 2WD versions of these vehicles never appeared in Australia as they would end up costing the same or more than a 4WD equivalent. The term 4WD became synonymous and preferred over SUV. It surprises many Australians to find out that there are 2WD versions of CRVs and Rav4s available in other markets. I remember seeing a 2WD CRV sliding around on an icy road at a ski resort in Canada once and thinking what a strange sight it was.

This is getting very off-topic isn't it. I guess this is what happens when Tesla give us nothing else to talk about!

The only time I get annoyed is when I see a heavy fuel use vehicle being used inappropriately where a far more efficient vehicle would suffice.
I walk past a metallic gold V8 petrol Landcruiser almost every morning. Full steel bull-bar, fishing pole mounts and 3 meter whip aerial.
Its always clean, you could even say immaculately presented and its parked in Victoria Street Potts Point.
For those that don't know this is within easy 20 minute walking distance of Sydney CBD.

SUVs in Australia have historically been 4WD only. My understanding is that there was (is?) a 10% import duty on 2WD vehicles, but only a 5% duty on 4WD vehicles. I believe that this was to maintain the affordability of vehicles for farming and other rural industry.

When SUVs began appearing, the difference in import duties meant that the 2WD versions of these vehicles never appeared in Australia as they would end up costing the same or more than a 4WD equivalent.

Are you saying the AWD Model S might cost about the same as the 2WD here? Sounds good to me!

Not even remotely interested in a truck sized vehicle. Ive never liked 4WDs (SUVs as the US calls them). Too high, too ungainly, not good looking, bad handling and generally obnoxious. The model S is actually larger than I want but isn't unbearable. An M3 competitor would be my preferred option, but I'm not prepared to wait any more - I reserved a model S sight unseen nearly 3 years ago. I wish Tesla luck with the X but am more interested in the performance model 3 or roadster II.