TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Existing Owner Priority for Model 3 - Extend to family/friends?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by omkar, Mar 17, 2016.

1. omkar

omkar New Member

Based on the invite email from Tuesday, it is clear that existing owners will get priority.

Any ideas on these questions?

1. Can an existing owner put down a reservation for another family member (different household) and will that get the same priority?

2. Can an existing owner put down a reservation for a friend and will that get the same priority?

2. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Probably not. In the past reservations have been non-transferable.

3. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

If it is a GOOD family member or friend, what has worked at some times in the past is to make the reservation in your name. When the time comes to order the car, order it as your friend wants. When your DS asks how to title the car, put it in your name AND your friend's. After the purchase, you can go to the DMV and get your name taken off.

Of course I can't guarantee Tesla will continue doing that. And there are things that can go wrong in this scenario, so I'd only do it with somebody you know and trust. Better for your friends to reserve your own if at all possible. Especially since a reservation only seems to determine when they can order; WHAT they order is the primary determinant of when they get the car.

4. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

How about if your family member is in another state? Will you be able to select a delivery address outside of the state you live in?