Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Did anyone see Tesla's announcement that existing PW2s will get a capacity increase of up to 50% depending on production date?

Anyone have any idea what "recent" means? How can you tell when your powerwalls were made? Also for ones the 50% increase, I guess that means the current SOC debth of use at 100% is only 66.6% with the rest hidden either at the top or bottom.

This one is even more misleading:

"Elon Musk: Tesla Powerwall 2 Capacity To Be 50% More, Widens Lead Over Competitors Further" ....although the contents of the article make it more clear.

I saw and am tracking this but still confused.

Existing Powerwall 2 AC systems already max out the 30A breaker, I do not understand how more power is allowed unless its from EDIT apparent power.

Currently the units can sustain 5000w (20.8A at 240V), however they are determined to have a maximum apparent output of 5800w (24A at 240V)

Multiply this 24A by the NEC required 1.25 and you have a 30A breaker and wire requirement.

It might be this really applies only to Powerwall 2.1. That seems most likely.

Otherwise there is some intention to raise output to 5800w, or they are thinking replacing breakers. I suspect the former.

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
still, what does it mean and does anyone have yet?
A current Powerwall 2 is rated to provide 5kw continuous and 7kw peak power.

If Elon is to be believed, Tesla believes they can increase one or both of these numbers by up to 50% without having a significant negative effect on the lifetime of the batteries. Basically this means you can power "more stuff" from a single Powerwall, but the overall amount of energy is still the same (so they will drain faster).

Reactions: MP3Mike
The way the articles are written say 50% increase from software update. That would be 7500 continuous which would require moving from a 30 amp to 40 amp breaker and increasing the wire sizing from the PWs to the breakers.

This is is why when I glossed over it originally I thought it meant 50% capacity increase as storage capacity and just figured they were unlocking the stormwatch capacity to be visible and usable without storm watch engaged.

I’m pretty confident but will check, I actually pointed it out as the breaker size was different to the “as design” but the local inspector didn’t care. They used copper #8 THWN which is good for 50amp.
It's been 50 minutes and you haven't come back from checking yet. Are you OK? Do we need to send out a rescue crew? People are waiting! :)

FWIW, PG&E also views battery capacity as kW export size rather than kWh storage. It's a weird thing that confused me during the SGIP process. The thing that SGIP and these fancy battery folks use that most closely approximates to what you're talking about is the "duration" of peak discharge the batteries are capable of.

So my 3x Powerwalls have 39.6 kWh max storage and can export 15 kW at max (before the software update). SGIP considers this battery to be a 2.64 hour battery system and "sized" the SGIP to 2.64.

Weirdly, if the export per PW goes up to 7 kW, then the same battery system would become a sub-2-hour system because the total export is 21 kW.

And per SGIP rules, the incentive for the sub-2-hour system is actually higher than the 2.64 hour system. Because to PG&E, the size of the battery has "increased".

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
elon tweets more power.jpg

I doubt engineering will approve this, would require your panels to be rewired!