Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked and both black stickers on the Powerwall 2s show: ASY,AC POWERWALL2.1,5KW

On the first battery black plastic panel, the latest dot marking is: 7/2020

On the second battery black plastic panel, the latest dot marking is: 12/2020
what does dot marking mean? Have pictures? If Elon's tweak is real, and they did not start until Nov, and you truely have one made in July v2.1,
then maybe there is something different coming? We will just have to wait and see. IMO, sure glad it is not a capacity increase!!

I just checked my PW and noticed that I too have the 2.1. My PW was installed last September. But I only have a 30 amp breaker.

Attachments

• A50EBD5A-55FE-4310-A6CD-0129105183EC.jpeg
    A50EBD5A-55FE-4310-A6CD-0129105183EC.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 56
Agreed. PW is ideal for LiFePo since energy density is less of a concern. If I recall a graphic they shared from battery day, this is their plan once they get 4680 at volume production.
The graphic said that they were planning on LiFePO for Powerpack and Megapack (if not using it already), but sticking with NCA or other higher density chemistries for the Powerwall. I'm not sure why as pretty much everyone else is using LiFePO for residential applications, unless it's a supply issue. But the implication was that energy density remained important for the Powerwall for some reason.

Anyway, I'm super curious as to how Tesla will be changing their installs going forward to further simplify the installation of the Powerwall + Solar. Maybe they have come up with something that has escaped everyone's wisdom here so far.

Or is this just another instance of Elon getting ahead of the product development teams?

Reactions: preilly44
Let’s not forget your friends at PG&E

Lol, someone I used to work with was considering taking a job at PG&E... you can imagine the advice I gave him.

BTW, when you look at my avatar (stock photo)... Would an optimist see this as a hand having just turned a system on? And a pessimist would see it as a hand about to turn a system off?

I can only imagine the rage people are feeling today if they've been in PTO-purgatory with PG&E for months and can't activate their systems on a day like today.

My glass? It's always half empty.
Not being able to activate because of no PTO was us from last April-August. We "tested" the system to ensure the SolarRoof and Powerwalls were working. Made sure to not push to the grid

Not being able to activate because of no PTO was us from last April-August. We "tested" the system to ensure the SolarRoof and Powerwalls were working. Made sure to not push to the grid
It is my understanding that if you disable your main breaker box and stop the flow of power back to the grid that this "simulates" a power outage. The system will then run on PV and PW (which is a must). Essentially you can do this until you get PTO assuming you have enough PW to consumption reserve to operate until sunrise, right? Optionally you could shut the PV / PW system back down at night and turn your grid power back on. I'm getting installed on Monday and after it passes inspection with the city, I plan on doing this as a "test".

Lol, someone I used to work with was considering taking a job at PG&E... you can imagine the advice I gave him.

BTW, when you look at my avatar (stock photo)... Would an optimist see this as a hand having just turned a system on? And a pessimist would see it as a hand about to turn a system off?
haha i think ppl would naturally see it as someone shutting off since hand on top ... but with you I imagine some choice four letter words as you "disconnect" from PG&E

It is my understanding that if you disable your main breaker box and stop the flow of power back to the grid that this "simulates" a power outage. The system will then run on PV and PW (which is a must). Essentially you can do this until you get PTO assuming you have enough PW to consumption reserve to operate until sunrise, right? Optionally you could shut the PV / PW system back down at night and turn your grid power back on. I'm getting installed on Monday and after it passes inspection with the city, I plan on doing this as a "test".
yes! this is what many do .. you are physically isolated from grid so you cannot back feed power during an actual outage ... be sure your electrical provider does not specifically preclude this pre PTO