Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Powerwall 2s to get 50% power capacity increase with SW update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is also interesting that the suggested benefit occurs at < 30C (86F). One of the potentially major benefits that was mentioned is starting an A/C, since this increase could mean a lot more units can be comfortably started with 2 PWs. But, an A/C is needed when it is warm, and if the unit is not itself in a climate-controlled location, that extra power might not be available.
I only saw him say at 30C not less than or greater than. It really depends what limits the power, battery or inverter. A hotter battery can charge/discharge at a higher rate.

Big deal to me. They just installed and wired with all 30 amp breakers and disconnects. So whether it is 40 am or 50 amp breakers, from what I am reading, the 30 does not cut it. If true, I said to my installer I would expect they would come out and redue the setup to support the 2.1 batteries features. Am I wrong to feel this way?
Yes, IMO you are. You got exactly what you paid for. Just because your Powerwalls may be capable of more than 5 kW continuous or 7 kW peak, doesn't mean you should get a free upgrade. This happens every time Tesla releases incremental updates to their products - anyone who just took delivery of what they just paid for expects a free upgrade or refund.

I would absolutely expect to pay to install new breakers and wiring, if necessary, if the existing equipment can be uprated. But also then things like labels, etc, would also likely need to be updated to match the new ratings, too.

Yes, IMO you are. You got exactly what you paid for. Just because your Powerwalls may be capable of more than 5 kW continuous or 7 kW peak, doesn't mean you should get a free upgrade. This happens every time Tesla releases incremental updates to their products - anyone who just took delivery of what they just paid for expects a free upgrade or refund.

I would absolutely expect to pay to install new breakers and wiring, if necessary, if the existing equipment can be uprated. But also then things like labels, etc, would also likely need to be updated to match the new ratings, too.
Boy do we have different opinions. If this was a new car, I would return it if not upgrade. I have not paid yet, been a month. It is crazy that I as a home owner seem to know more than the installers. Since they have told me they are not in business to screw folks and I need to trust them, shall see, assuming what is being posted here is correct. Sure will not be going forward with more solar with them until I get this understood.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Boy do we have different opinions. If this was a new car, I would return it if not upgrade. I have not paid yet, been a month. It is crazy that I as a home owner seem to know more than the installers. Since they have told me they are not in business to screw folks and I need to trust them, shall see, assuming what is being posted here is correct. Sure will not be going forward with more solar with them until I get this understood.
you seem to be very rapidly jumping to conclusions regarding your installer.
The most simple answer is probably correct. Just as we had no idea about this your installer was likely in the dark (pun intended) as well. I see no malice on their part .. they installed per spec at the time of install .. how would they know about the future if not informed by Tesla ? they did not bring their official Tesla crystal ball out during your install.

you seem to be very rapidly jumping to conclusions regarding your installer.
The most simple answer is probably correct. Just as we had no idea about this your installer was likely in the dark (pun intended) as well. I see no malice on their part .. they installed per spec .. they did not bring their official Tesla crystal ball out during your install.
I am not jumping to any conclusions. Where have I done that. Right now I am trying to understand technically is it true the 2.1 PW will get a fw/sw updated next week, be able to put out 7.5kw, and therefore has to be wired with at least 8 gauge wiring and a 40 amp breaker. If true, yep, I have an issue since I do expect folks in the business to know the difference between a 2.0 and 2.1

I worked in mfg computers for 30 years. I had to always ask if we changed something on form, fit or function, we change the product number! Last thing we wanted in the field was a person using an old board in a new setup, or a new board in an old setup. We then told the field what they had to change.

Since others have stated they are wired correctly, some installers seem to be on top of the change. Just frustrating when I maybe knowing more than the installers. I did say I hope they are not installing anymore 2.1's with 30 amp breakers, if this change is real.

I am not jumping to any conclusions. Where have I done that. Right now I am trying to understand technically is it true the 2.1 PW will get a fw/sw updated next week, be able to put out 7.5kw, and therefore has to be wired with at least 8 gauge wiring and a 40 amp breaker. If true, yep, I have an issue since I do expect folks in the business to know the difference between a 2.0 and 2.1

I worked in mfg computers for 30 years. I had to always ask if we changed something on form, fit or function, we change the product number! Last thing we wanted in the field was a person using an old board in a new setup, or a new board in an old setup. We then told the field what they had to change.

Since others have stated they are wired correctly, some installers seem to be on top of the change. Just frustrating when I maybe knowing more than the installers. I did say I hope they are not installing anymore 2.1's with 30 amp breakers, if this change is real.
"Since they have told me they are not in business to screw folks and I need to trust them, shall see, assuming what is being posted here is correct. Sure will not be going forward with more solar with them until I get this understood."
i took this that you inferred your installer had "screwed you over" .. and if so you would not be doing business with them in the future. Perhaps I misunderstood

Last edited:
The 2.1 PW installed here yesterday was with a 30, same as for the two existing 2.0s.

Its possible and probable that some 2.1 are labeled at 5kW and some are labeled as 7.5kW.

Some reports from installers who didn't install to plan isn't exactly evidence. Its totally possible the Powerwall 2.1 5 kW and if it exists 2.1 7.5 kW is that one can utilize a 40A breaker. its also possible they both functionally have an identical inverter, but one is firmware limited to 5kW and therefore for all intents and purposes is a 5 kW unit.

This likely means that Elons tweet is a marketing stunt, like many are. I'd bet just a handful, who already have 40A breakers will be upgraded if any.

"Since they have told me they are not in business to screw folks and I need to trust them, shall see, assuming what is being posted here is correct. Sure will not be going forward with more solar with them until I get this understood."
i took this that you inferred your installer had "screwed you over" .. and if so you would not be doing business with them in the future. Perhaps I miss understood.
Nope, I just said what they have told me in the past, and I told them I agreed. I said this morning we may put this to the test. I just asked today. They seem to have no idea. I have tended at times to know more than them, which is fine. I always trust at beginning, until proven otherwise. So, I have no reason if this is real, they will not do, what IMO, is the right thing to do. But, I am just trying to get data now. How this would get rolled out is interesting, since if real, seems could maybe cause fire risks? But, 100% open mind at the moment. I would love to find out this is all wrong, trust me!!

Its possible and probable that some 2.1 are labeled at 5kW and some are labeled as 7.5kW.

Some reports from installers who didn't install to plan isn't exactly evidence. Its totally possible the Powerwall 2.1 5 kW and if it exists 2.1 7.5 kW is that one can utilize a 40A breaker. its also possible they both functionally have an identical inverter, but one is firmware limited to 5kW and therefore for all intents and purposes is a 5 kW unit.

This likely means that Elons tweet is a marketing stunt, like many are. I'd bet just a handful, who already have 40A breakers will be upgraded if any.
So how are you installing PW's now? Just assuming 30 amps and nothing is changing, or, CVA? If I knew this was possible, I sure would have insisted my installed have done 40amp to be safe.

How this would get rolled out is interesting, since if real, seems could maybe cause fire risks?

Unlikely. If the PW put out more than the 30A breaker could handle it would trip and shut things down. Most likely they will increase the continuous ability and not up the peak output ability for installations not verified to have a larger breaker and wiring.

So how are you installing PW's now? Just assuming 30 amps and nothing is changing, or, CVA? If I knew this was possible, I sure would have insisted my installed have done 40amp to be safe.
It is not code compliant to install an oversized breaker for a 5 kW generation device rated at 5.8kW apparent, but oversized wire is a real possibility.

Many of our installations used #8 AWG all along.

Reactions: buckets0fun
There's a lot that seems unwise about this to me, since it seems like it might result in exceeding the nameplate ratings. I'd hope the units were actually tested at the higher limits during manufacturing, and aren't just upping limits later and hoping all units work without verification (though then it seems odd that the nameplate wouldn't reflect the way it was tested/certified). Plus at least some utilities base the interconnect on the inverter output capability (like PG&E, who draws a line at 10kW of storage output, so it put the line at 2 PW's today with no margin), so changing this might have impacts on interconnect agreements and PTO, I'd think.

But definitely curious what the changes will actually turn out to be. I'm assuming my 2-year-old PW won't see any of it, I hoped it really was a capacity thing, as mine never seemed to be great (more like 10kWh usable energy), so if there were some conservative caps in place I would have been interested in seeing them relaxed. And I still hope to add a second PW some day, as they become more different I guess that might pose more problems.

Unlikely. If the PW put out more than the 30A breaker could handle it would trip and shut things down. Most likely they will increase the continuous ability and not up the peak output ability for installations not verified to have a larger breaker and wiring.
That would be great for the general person who spent all this money. Can you imagine all the calls to tesla saying my battery does not work anymore.

And who is going to verify installations? I see nothing but issues here, meaning, installs should have been done with Tesla's direction to put in a 40 amp service with 2.1's, know there is a chance for an update. Another example is a 2.0 goes bad, I assume they install a 2.1. I always have tried to oversize for just this reason. Material is peanuts compared to labor.

You seem to think something is wrong, and its not.
We just disagree. If next week my units just installed can have a 50% higher output, for me, thats an issue! Installers should have known what the product change meant and been installing for the new features to come. Thats how I did business my whole life with customers.

If this was a car, I would take back. If this was a computer, I would take back. You would keep a product you just bought this is no longer current and say no problem? Hard to believe.

rdx
We just disagree. If next week my units just installed can have a 50% higher output, for me, thats an issue! Installers should have known what the product change meant and been installing for the new features to come. Thats how I did business my whole life with customers.

If this was a car, I would take back. If this was a computer, I would take back. You would keep a product you just bought this is no longer current and say no problem? Hard to believe.
So just to be clear .. cause I still am not.. are you saying your installer knew about this and ignored it? Or they should have foreseen this possibility and have failed you some how? Are you taking issue with the manufacturer Tesla or your installer or both?
I'm not trying to be confrontational I really am trying to understand your point of view.

Luckily for you and your installer, you got exactly what you paid for.

Like posted above, there are always people who get on the wrong side of a product upgrade. Last week you were all happy with what you have now suddenly there's an issue, because something new came out.

You don't have any less than what you paid for, just knowledge that some in the future will get more for their money. This is product development, you should expect this.