Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Tesla owner, transfer a new reservation to a different account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, stumbling around the interwebs I found a guy who ordered a Model Y for his wife but she decided she doesn't want it any more. He still has the reservation and it is on hold currently, he already owns a Model 3 on the same account. Is there any way for him to transfer the reservation to another account without giving up details on his existing account?

So, stumbling around the interwebs I found a guy who ordered a Model Y for his wife but she decided she doesn't want it any more. He still has the reservation and it is on hold currently, he already owns a Model 3 on the same account. Is there any way for him to transfer the reservation to another account without giving up details on his existing account?
Nope. He needs to buy it and then sell it to you.

From what I've gathered the only way this can work is if someone basically gives up their entire Tesla account with the reservation on it. IE, they give you the login and password for the account with the reservation and then you update all the info to your info. This won't work if they already have a Tesla though and even if not I don't know if it really works at all. But there's no system for transferring reservations so it is the only somewhat plausible system I've heard.

Transfer to a new account, no.

Reset/clear the order's registration info and delivery - yes. The order should be updated to use the new buyer's registration, driver's license, and delivery location. The order remains on the original buyer's account and only can be transferred after delivery is accepted. This loophole might be closed by Tesla in the future.

Just for fun, if he has his VIN, he should go to Vroom.com and see what they will offer.

Reset/clear the order's registration info and delivery - yes. The order should be updated to use the new buyer's registration, driver's license, and delivery location. The order remains on the original buyer's account and only can be transferred after delivery is accepted. This loophole might be closed by Tesla in the future.
I'm in the middle of this process right now. It's a bit hairy (allowing access to my Tesla account, etc), but the person I'm transferring it to is scheduled to take delivery later this week. Once they take delivery, I'll initiate the process to transfer the VIN to their personal account. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

Reactions: voxel
Correct, but there is a risk. The Tesla algorithms might pick him up as a reseller and he's then banned for life. The VIN he buys gets registered to another within a week. Not a good look.
I am guessing (I have no information to back this up, just guessing) that they would not do that based upon a one time issue. Everyone who we've seen on the forums that got banned by Tesla had several resells and stacks of reservations cycling through handfuls of cars in very short periods of time. I don't think they are banning someone for a one off sale.

Reactions: SilentWarp

Have you done this successfully?

You can do it. It’s a bit involved.

You have to give the person all your info and put it on the reservation. License, proof of insurance etc. Once that’s done delivery will go to your nearest delivery center. Stays on his account but the car is in your name. You might need SA help, but they are more than willing to help. If not find another SA.

You pay for it and register it, pay taxes etc.

After the car is in your name you transfer it to your own account as if you bought it.

So I called Tesla today and they said that I could not take someone’s reservation. Even though I have access to his account I change the username password drivers license etc. However his name is still present. I don’t wanna pay sales tax twice. Perhaps I can pay for it with my credit card while he’s there and then he gives it back to me for a dollar? Has anyone dealt with transferring it to a new name at the time of delivery?

So I called Tesla today and they said that I could not take someone’s reservation. Even though I have access to his account I change the username password drivers license etc. However his name is still present. I don’t wanna pay sales tax twice. Perhaps I can pay for it with my credit card while he’s there and then he gives it back to me for a dollar? Has anyone dealt with transferring it to a new name at the time of delivery?

This is the problem.. it is possible but an SA or whomever answering/texting on the other side of Tesla support can block it. It's a roll of the dice and makes the process annoying. Tesla officially does not allow for reservation transfer... but there is no rule on adding another person (you) to the registration and having your DMV remove that after titling. Unsure how that works in your state. That's the only workaround if your SA or Tesla continues to say no to your registration name change.

Just buy the car in your name in his account. Account name does not matter. Name on order matters (license, insurance etc.) After you own it. Remove the car from his account and add it to your account. No money or taxes change hands transferring the car from one account to another. Same as you buying. But it’s already bought. Tesla has nothing to do with DMV once it’s yours.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
Just buy the car in your name in his account. Account name does not matter. Name on order matters (license, insurance etc.) After you own it. Remove the car from his account and add it to your account. No money or taxes change hands transferring the car from one account to another. Same as you buying. But it’s already bought. Tesla has nothing to do with DMV once it’s yours.

If the registration is in his name - there is no problem. I think he started a similar thread elsewhere and said the SA would not allow a registration name change which means his friend has to buy and title it first.

What are the steps to do this?

I have a MXPlaid order I don't wish to pick up and never filled out the registration because I truthfully forgot about the order and just got a text from Tesla this week to finish setting up my delivery appointment. If I just want to transfer the account to someone else do I need to contact Tesla or can I just give them access to the account and they can put in their own info and buy he car themselves? It doesn't even have my full name on the account just initials.