Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Existing Tesla owner, transfer a new reservation to a different account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do not fill in the registration info, doing so will make it difficult to transfer the registration. And look at your estimated delivery day - even though you got that text you may still be far away from getting a vin.
I have a vin. It is supposed to be delivered in 4 days. My question is what steps do I need to take to give someone this registration? Do I just give them access to the account or do I need to contact Tesla and do more?

Reactions: voxel
Someone's salty =/ I could literally buy the car, pay taxes and registration, drive around for a few months and still sell for more than I'd likely get transferring the reservation but I don't need it and want to give it to someone who actually wants the car.

Someone's salty =/ I could literally buy the car, pay taxes and registration, drive around for a few months and still sell for more than I'd likely get transferring the reservation but I don't need it and want to give it to someone who actually wants the car.

If the order doesn’t have your registration info then it’s easy to hand over the account to somebody else. If car has registration info, you need to contact the SA and have the info updated with the new buyer.

I would not move the delivery location out of state because that changes the EDD.

Tesla blocked my transfer back in March as the order/registration did not match the account info so these days the entire account needs to be scrubbed (and consistent).

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
If the order doesn’t have your registration info then it’s easy to hand over the account to somebody else. If car has registration info, you need to contact the SA and have the info updated with the new buyer.

I would not move the delivery location out of state because that changes the EDD.

Tesla blocked my transfer back in March as the order/registration did not match the account info so these days the entire account needs to be scrubbed (and consistent).
Ok thanks that is good info! If the delivery location is changed and the EDD is updated, will it change drastically? I guess my question is if I transfer it to California is it likely to delay the shipment a lot?

Ok thanks that is good info! If the delivery location is changed and the EDD is updated, will it change drastically? I guess my question is if I transfer it to California is it likely to delay the shipment a lot?
It will definitely change it - possibly drastically.

Actually the biggest problem you have is that a VIN got assigned and thus an order agreement has be generated with your information. A delivery center could reject the new buyer solely based on this… even if the registration is updated to new buyer. In reality I suspect delivery centers won’t care. Mine did. Just don’t use Tampa as your delivery location and you should be good lol.

If it’s being delivered to “you”, your closest delivery center. And you have a VIN. You are gonna have a tough time changing state. Your gonna be limited to buyers willing to go to your service center. You must have given them something regarding your Id in order to ship the car to you.

If it was blank I don’t think you’d have a VIN.

Reactions: voxel