Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exiting the third row in a 7-seat X with a power failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to get out of the third row in the 7-seat configuration if there's a power failure and the electric motors on the second row don't work. Is there a mechanical failsafe? Is there some other way to get out? (It might be possible to exit by lowering one of the back row seats, and then crawling through to the trunk--I assume there's a mechanical way to open the trunk from the inside, but I haven't confirmed that.) I know that it's possible to open the doors mechanically in an emergency, but I'm not sure if a passenger in the third-row could get to the FWD if the second-row seats were inoperable.

Anyway, just curious whether anyone knew the answer to this unlikely but possible problem.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to get out of the third row in the 7-seat configuration if there's a power failure and the electric motors on the second row don't work. Is there a mechanical failsafe? Is there some other way to get out? (It might be possible to exit by lowering one of the back row seats, and then crawling through to the trunk--I assume there's a mechanical way to open the trunk from the inside, but I haven't confirmed that.) I know that it's possible to open the doors mechanically in an emergency, but I'm not sure if a passenger in the third-row could get to the FWD if the second-row seats were inoperable.

Anyway, just curious whether anyone knew the answer to this unlikely but possible problem.

There is a manual release for both the Falcon doors (behind the speaker grill) and for the rear hatch. In the situation you describe I would probably exit through the rear hatch.

Peter+

It's a significant issue on all cars today with electric locks. It doesn't have to be a powered door. It should be noted in a Quick Start booklet or on the Visor. All owners of such vehicles (they are getting very common) should learn the procedure immediately after purchase, as it can be a safety issue in a collision.

I was trapped inside a $125k sportscar when electric locks and windows failed. Had to get the owner's manual out of the glove box to find out where the safety release was to exit the car.

It's a significant issue on all cars today with electric locks. It doesn't have to be a powered door. It should be noted in a Quick Start booklet or on the Visor. All owners of such vehicles (they are getting very common) should learn the procedure immediately after purchase, as it can be a safety issue in a collision.

I was trapped inside a $125k sportscar when electric locks and windows failed. Had to get the owner's manual out of the glove box to find out where the safety release was to exit the car.

There is one good reason to have a paper copy of the owner's manual. The onscreen PDF version will be useless when the power is out.

On a large number of cars today, even if you do not lose power, it is still a problem for people in the back seat if you have the child locks on. They can't open doors or windows from the back. And to the best of my knowledge, there is no manual override for that.

I'm glad you didn't end up like this gentlemen Grandpa dies with dog as pair gets trapped in Corvette - YouTube

Okay, that's a weird story. I'm sure he didn't die because "he couldn't get out of a Corvette". That's the weirdest cause of death I've seen. He must have suffered a heart attack or something, which wasn't reported on. Feels like they focused on him being locked in his car to try to get more ratings. They didn't even report how long he was locked in his car. Very poor reporting. Still sad, and it makes the argument that it pays to be prepared. I'll make sure my family knows where all the manual over-ride locks are.

Okay, that's a weird story. I'm sure he didn't die because "he couldn't get out of a Corvette". That's the weirdest cause of death I've seen. He must have suffered a heart attack or something, which wasn't reported on. Feels like they focused on him being locked in his car to try to get more ratings. They didn't even report how long he was locked in his car. Very poor reporting. Still sad, and it makes the argument that it pays to be prepared. I'll make sure my family knows where all the manual over-ride locks are.

Most media outlets are posting that he died from heat exhaustion after struggling to get out of the car. Quite the tragedy and it made me look up the mechanical releases for the rear door on my MS.

http://ktla.com/2015/06/11/elderly-man-dog-die-because-car-doors-wouldnt-unlock/

I wish door designers would look back to the past and try to design a door handle like in the old Ford F150s. When you pull the handle, it would (in one step) unlock the door (if locked) and unlatch/open the door. Sometimes a low tech design works best.

Removing the manual latch cover on the Model X hatch isn't easy (pull from the bottom). Finding the sticky plastic pull device connected to the wire wasn't easy either.

If you are concerned, try removing it in advance with the hatch open. Be sure the tabs are positioned right when replacing the small cover plastic piece.

From the OP, This seems to be a question about a mechanical/manual way to push the 2nd row forward.

Even the third row uses an electronic release in order to push the seats down, doesn't it? In which case, you could very easily be trapped if you're in the 3rd row, and there is no power to the vehicle

You have to press the "eject" button in the third row. All mechanical. Rear hatch is blown off using small, embedded charges in the rear hatch hinges and the third row seats are shot out the back via springs.

The issue is, what if the rear hatch is blocked...