Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expanding FSD Beta.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw that Teslascope is reporting FSD beta going wider to Early Access. Don't understand, isn't this what's been happening for months? Why doesn't the fleet have it still? Seems like they've proven it works well.

FSD Beta started with just a small sub group of Early Access. Recently, Tesla has released FSD Beta to more members of Early Access.

FSD Beta does not work well enough yet for wide release. That's why the general fleet does not have it yet.

Wrong.

ps : Its crazy to think Elon is making all these minute decisions. Reminds me of when people would tweet out how "bill gates" didn't test windows properly.

It's no different than with Apple and Steve Jobs, or the ancient Egyptian pharaohs and the pyramids. It's like there is only 1 person who is worth anything in the whole company, and everybody else is just a mass of faceless, brainless slaves providing temporary and disposable labor.

NOT!

FSD Beta started with just a small sub group of Early Access. Recently, Tesla has released FSD Beta to more members of Early Access.

FSD Beta does not work well enough yet for wide release. That's why the general fleet does not have it yet.

What do you mean it doesn't work well enough? The current version is terrible on surface streets. Almost anything would be an upgrade. They've already released nine versions of the beta. How long until the fleet will get it? Can't possibly be more than a month or two, right?

• Funny
Reactions: Alset Srotom
the full fleet of those who paid for FSD? Or the early access fleet?
If the former it would be a full rollout - that seems unlikely. Not sure how they are defining "early access" - I'd suggest that means everyone who bought FSD starting with the earliest buyers, maybe with the caveat that you have MCU2/AP3.

But given Elon's affinity with a lack of transparency and honesty it likely means something else TBD. Nobody knows.

What do you mean it doesn't work well enough? The current version is terrible on surface streets. Almost anything would be an upgrade. They've already released nine versions of the beta. How long until the fleet will get it? Can't possibly be more than a month or two, right?
You should watch some of the videos in the FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers) thread. You will see that FSD Beta works well most of the time BUT it will often pull out into or turn in front (and often come to a near stop) of on coming traffic. In other words it could get you killed or kill others. It still needs a good bit of work, especially in heavy traffic before it can be released to a large number of people.

Reactions: diplomat33

It is not about FSD Beta being better than the current AP. It's about safety. Right now, FSD Beta performs well most of the time but it can also make really bad moves that could result in serious crashes. Sometimes FSD Beta gets an unprotected left turn wrong and turns in front of incoming traffic! So the driver must constantly be paying attention and be ready to take over. That's "ok" when it is a small group of testers who are doing a good job of supervising the system. But if you released it wide to a large number of people, the chances of drivers not paying attention goes way up. There would be serious crashes. Tesla cannot afford that. So Tesla needs to improve FSD Beta until it is much safer before they can release it to the public. So no, I don't think FSD wide can go wide in a month.

EDIT: I am not suggesting FSD Beta has to be perfect before it can go out wide. But you do need to improve safety so that if the driver does not pay attention, the risk of accident is still low.

Last edited:
.....But if you released it wide to a large number of people, the chances of drivers not paying attention goes way up. There would be serious crashes.....
What are you talking about? People ALWAYS pay carful attention when using AP. :eek: So no chance of a problem releasing FSD Beta to the general public. What could go wrong? :D

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 7.13.26 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
It is not about FSD Beta being better than the current AP. It's about safety. Right now, FSD Beta performs well most of the time but it can also make really bad moves that could result in serious crashes. Sometimes FSD Beta gets an unprotected left turn wrong and turns in front of incoming traffic! So the driver must constantly be paying attention and be ready to take over. That's "ok" when it is a small group of testers who are doing a good job of supervising the system. But if you released it wide to a large number of people, the chances of drivers not paying attention goes way up. There would be serious crashes. Tesla cannot afford that. So Tesla needs to improve FSD Beta until it is much safer before they can release it to the public. So no, I don't think FSD wide can go wide in a month.

EDIT: I am not suggesting FSD Beta has to be perfect before it can go out wide. But you do need to improve safety so that if the driver does not pay attention, the risk of accident is still low.

But the current version is dangerous, too. When I'm in the hov lane in CA and there's a barrier next to the lane, AP regularly gets way too close to the barrier. There's no way to know if it can control itself inches from the wall, even though it could easily move to the right. I find myself constantly pulling out of AP because I'm scared of the car smashing into a wall. On canyon roads, the car will drive into oncoming traffic or drive off a cliff if you're not paying attention. So either way, it's dangerous if not paying attention. Might as well update to the latest version.

Reactions: pilotSteve
But the current version is dangerous, too. When I'm in the hov lane in CA and there's a barrier next to the lane, AP regularly gets way too close to the barrier. There's no way to know if it can control itself inches from the wall, even though it could easily move to the right. I find myself constantly pulling out of AP because I'm scared of the car smashing into a wall. On canyon roads, the car will drive into oncoming traffic or drive off a cliff if you're not paying attention. So either way, it's dangerous if not paying attention. Might as well update to the latest version.

I guess if Tesla intends FSD Beta to just be a driver assist, Tesla could release it wide with driver supervision as soon as it is "good enough" like they've done with previous AP features. But I thought Tesla wanted FSD Beta to fully autonomous. An autonomous driving system needs to be able to drive safely without any driver supervision. Hence, it needs to be safe on its own.

Remember, the reason the current version of autopilot sucks on surface streets is because you're not supposed to be using it there!

Beta is amazing but it has to get as consistent on surface streets as autopilot is on the highway before they will release it to the public. Even then I am sure it will require driver diligence to engage.

Take it as a good sign that they are expanding it to early access. It will come to us in due time.

Dan

I guess if Tesla intends FSD Beta to just be a driver assist, Tesla could release it wide with driver supervision as soon as it is "good enough" like they've done with previous AP features. But I thought Tesla wanted FSD Beta to fully autonomous. An autonomous driving system needs to be able to drive safely without any driver supervision. Hence, it needs to be safe on its own.
Beta will almost certainly be released to the fleet requiring supervision first. Hundreds of thousands of "testers" will push the improvements much faster. I think that will probably happen within a few months. After that...true "no driver required" FSD will maybe happen within a year. Just my guess of course.

Dan

Reactions: 82bert
Just ONE example: AP will NOT make a left turn into traffic but FSD Beta does. This is VERY dangerous and there are many more that make FSD Beta almost infinitely more dangerous than AP. It is improving fast but NO WAY it should be released in its current state. Go and watch some of the videos. You will see it looking like it is almost ready for prime time and then it will make a MAJOR screw up (or several in a row) that could get you and others killed in a near flash. It requires super intense monitoring to drive right now and is VERY taxing on the testers to test.

Also AP driving parallel close to a side barrier doesn't compare to it pulling out in front of a truck heading straight at your T-bone at 60MPH and the car going at an indecisive crawl.

Last edited: