Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expansion Charger stalls. Are they faster than the 'antiques'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Missile Toad

MSLR Wht/Blk/19 | OD 6/10/21 | RN11512
Aug 30, 2016
30.04, -95.16
So, a bunch of SuperCharger sites have brand-new pedestals, complete with charging-cable and new handles. Mostly, these have been in California -- but I see one expansion site in Nevada. Has anyone been able to try charging two cars (in similar SoC) in slots that are both a) original-with-the-site; and b) newly expanded in Q2 2017? How many more kW is typical, especially in the all-important first 10 minutes? Is there even a difference at all? For that matter, can we expect any differences in the quality of the charge six months from now -- especially when news gets out that they are faster (and accordingly get worn down faster)?
Example sites:
  1. Oxnard
  2. Gilroy
  3. Dublin
  4. Primm, NV
  5. Redondo Beach
  6. (more coming to a town near you)

I charged at Oxnard in a loaner 85 about a week ago, used an unpaired new charger and got 110kw to start, did not notice any real different rates and not too much to compare to as my normal car is a 70. I really think that they need to do some service on the charge connections as they seem to get dirty quickly. I have been tempted to bring my contact cleaner to the chargers and clean the cord before I use it, however that may not be the best thing for keeping tesla happy.

Reactions: Missile Toad
Pictures? Are you saying they look different or are just new?
They are new. As in, the Tesla-reported site had 8 chargers and now has 14 -- so, with the exception of temporary charging apparatus, I would expect the 'delta' chargers are going to be factory new in all respects. I am not saying that their design is new -- (though only people on the ground at the charger could say for sure) -- only that there are chargers that weren't there before.