TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Expansion Charger stalls. Are they faster than the 'antiques'?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Missile Toad, May 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

So, a bunch of SuperCharger sites have brand-new pedestals, complete with charging-cable and new handles. Mostly, these have been in California -- but I see one expansion site in Nevada. Has anyone been able to try charging two cars (in similar SoC) in slots that are both a) original-with-the-site; and b) newly expanded in Q2 2017? How many more kW is typical, especially in the all-important first 10 minutes? Is there even a difference at all? For that matter, can we expect any differences in the quality of the charge six months from now -- especially when news gets out that they are faster (and accordingly get worn down faster)?
    Example sites:
    1. Oxnard
    2. Gilroy
    3. Dublin
    4. Primm, NV
    5. Redondo Beach
    6. (more coming to a town near you)

2. TacC

TacC Member

Really hard to tell in Dublin because you're almost always paired up.

I'm interested to see if anyone has done some off-peak charging to compare.

3. sbportech

sbportech Member

I charged at Oxnard in a loaner 85 about a week ago, used an unpaired new charger and got 110kw to start, did not notice any real different rates and not too much to compare to as my normal car is a 70. I really think that they need to do some service on the charge connections as they seem to get dirty quickly. I have been tempted to bring my contact cleaner to the chargers and clean the cord before I use it, however that may not be the best thing for keeping tesla happy.

• Like x 1
  4. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Pictures? Are you saying they look different or are just new?

5. Missile Toad

Missile Toad Member

They are new. As in, the Tesla-reported site had 8 chargers and now has 14 -- so, with the exception of temporary charging apparatus, I would expect the 'delta' chargers are going to be factory new in all respects. I am not saying that their design is new -- (though only people on the ground at the charger could say for sure) -- only that there are chargers that weren't there before.