Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations: 2014 Model S P110+ SuperSport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read somewhere in a forum where a guy stated that the awd tesla S will be in sale from February and that the 2wd tesla s will be discontinued in September ?? And that there wil be new features on the S as head up display,distronic, soft close doors and cameras instead of side mirrors...
the acceleration for the performance S 4wd was estimated to 3,3 s and for the tesla x 3,4s ???

This would be good!

I read somewhere in a forum where a guy stated that the awd tesla S will be in sale from February and that the 2wd tesla s will be discontinued in September ?? And that there wil be new features on the S as head up display,distronic, soft close doors and cameras instead of side mirrors...
the acceleration for the performance S 4wd was estimated to 3,3 s and for the tesla x 3,4s ???

the new car was going on sale 12 of feb he stated and delivery in September ...

is this bs ???

wouldnt want them to discontinue the 2WD just when my gets delivered... I see a huge secondhand price drop coming if this is thru :-(

Same guy said this was inside info and would be made public after market close Jan 3rd. I call BS.

Same guy said this was inside info and would be made public after market close Jan 3rd. I call BS.

Yes. He also stated that his son worked in tesla motors. Probably BS, he was really persistent though. I can't imagine if he really had his son working in the tesla motor co , why would he compromise the sons employment.. Either he was really stupid or this is as I think BS

I reckon we'll see larger battery sizes available with the Model X. It'll need them to keep the range up. But they won't be dramatically larger than the S', perhaps a 65 and a 95.

Tesla selling a 95kWh as a premium upgrade for the Model S would fit as a SuperSport.

This makes absolutely no sense. Tesla has plenty on its plate right now with meeting existing Model S orders, getting Model X out the door (it's already delayed), and getting ready for Gen 3. If Tesla does come out with some super sports car before Model X or even Gen 3, I'll be upset because there are plenty of more important areas where Tesla should be dedicating its resources.

Not going to happen. Someone who wants to spend 150-200k on a car does not want a model which, in another variant, only costs 70K. If tesla wants to make an exclusive car they better get an updated Roadster with AWD and big battery.

I disagree. Unless I'm mistaken, Porsche has been doing precisely that with the 911 line for decades. (Edit: I see several others beat me to the response.)

That being said, most of the changes discussed are not that big a deal. I would guess there'll be a 100 KWh pack for the X to keep range up at least as high as the S, if not a little bit more, and we know the X will have AWD. So an AWD P+ Model S with a 100 KWh pack in it might require more safety testing and such, but very little time or money invested in design/research. I've read some convincing arguments that the battery's max power delivery limit is not yet high enough to enable the use of two P motors to get 832 HP and 886 lb-ft of torque -- awesome though that might be -- so the total power available in an AWD Model S/X will be battery-limited, not motor- or design-limited. The rest of the changes, like seats and such, seem to be mostly cosmetic and not a big deal at all.

Last edited:
Just my $0.02, but I think the notions of a Model S P110+ and a AWD Model S are simply that, notions.

I do not expect either such announcement tomorrow, or anytime this month, or anytime this quarter, and unlikely this year.

Nor would either get me interested or excited.

As an investor and as a Model S owner, I want to see progress on Model X and Gen III this week, this month, this quarter, this year. I don't want any cycles wasted dreaming up more powerful Model S's until X and III are further along.

Awd tesla S introduced tomorrow ? New VIN inkluces AWD for 2014 model

From teslamotors.com forum

AStonesifer | JANUARY 13, 2014
The latest VIN card from Tesla has the option of dual motors on it, for the 2014 model year. Looks like we'll be getting it this year, if not soon!

Rumors says : There are 2 cars, model S on display in Detroit , one is locked and the frunk is closed.. Is this the awd...?

As an investor and as a Model S owner, I want to see progress on Model X and Gen III this week, this month, this quarter, this year. I don't want any cycles wasted dreaming up more powerful Model S's until X and III are further along.
+1. Tesla already has a problem with the "toys for the rich" image which runs directly contrary to Elon's "mass adoption" goal. An AWD may be a valuable and if they do AWD the super sport could come easily, but I'll be disappointed if the AWD is specifically for the super sport.
I'd like to see a Gen 3 Track Edition alpha. But I won't hold my breath.
I doubt there's even a clay model of the Gen3 for release at this point.

I didn't realize that Panasonic brought a Model S to CES. I hope it is not all about Audio at NAIAS and they talk about nextgen batteries

IMG_6664_verge_super_wide.jpg

I asked Jerome and got a no comment... Elon makes all announcements. I emailed Elon and, no surprise, no answer.

The newer batteries take 120 KW SuperCharging. If you can put it in faster, you can take it out faster so the current is there in the current pack for another short term 120-200 hp from a front motor.

I also emailed H. Mees and asked that the P++ take a page out of the M5 tuning manual interior noise be dammed (or add active noise canceling). MS has the torsional rigidity to do this.

The newer batteries take 120 KW SuperCharging. If you can put it in faster, you can take it out faster so the current is there in the current pack for another short term 120-200 hp from a front motor.

Can you, though? Batteries are usually able to discharge much faster than charge, and I'm not sure changing one side necessarily reflects any equivalent change on the other. From all analysis I've read, the S85 was inverter-limited and the P85 is battery-discharge-rate-limited. There was a very detailed analysis here on the board that concluded that in order to get any more HP out of the Model S, we were going to need a bigger battery. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

Edit: Found it. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...combo-performance-differences-S60-S85-and-P85

Assuming the above is correct, I suspect they could eke out some HP by improving the efficiency of the motor/inverter, but I doubt that a 100-200hp boost would be possible.

could very well be.... I was going from RC experience where charge and discharge capability was tied to internal resistance losses. Improvements in charge rates were typically coupled to improvements in discharge rates. The original batteries met the P85 current requirements which meant the door was open for pulling more current from the newer packs (my guess).