Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected charge rate for given scenario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused here. I have a "2020" Model S, Raven/refresh whatever it's called. (Delivery date was early December 2019)

Multiple times in recent road trips I've navigated either TO or VIA a v3 supercharger, arrived after driving an extended period (at least 100 miles, often 200) and not seen any charging rate over about 180kw, and any time I've seen a rate over 150kw it's taken at least a few minutes and/or a stall swap to get there.
I thought if you let Tesla do the navigating through superchargers this setup was supposed to get 250kw and ramp quite quickly. Is this not the case?

Details: mostly along the route from Boone NC to Raleigh NC, where there are at least the following v3 SC, all of which I've tried.
Chapel Hill, Siler City, Kernersville, Boone
It's been this summer so ambient temps anywhere from 90's to 50s. I've arrived at SC with anywhere from 15-60 miles of remaining charge.

One thing I've noticed is that I never seem to get the "preconditioning battery for fast charging" banner or whatever it says... but I'd assumed that's just because I'd been driving so long already that it wasn't necessary.

The thicker wires and circuitry to enable 250kw weren't totally implemented until mid 2020. Your car probably has a maximum charge rate of 200kw. See this: