Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expected discount for demo vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for Model Y LR-AWD. I just a demo vehicle that closely matches my requirements. The vehicle has 1000 miles on it. Here are the price details:

Model Y
$39,990.00
Deep Blue Metallic
$1,000.00
20’’ Induction Wheels
$2,000.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
$14,000.00
Destination Fee
$1,125.00
Documentation Fee
$75.00
Order Fee
$250.00
Price Adjustment
- $330.00
Car Price
$58,110.00

Additional Charges​

Transportation Fee
$1,000.00
Title Fee
$60.00
Registration Amount
$311.00
Online Processing Fee
$9.85

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$59,490.85​

Payments Received​

Order Deposit
- $250.00

Additional Credits​

Charge Up New Jersey Incentive
$0.00

I placed the order but I have a few questions :
1, Is it possible to modify the wheels and take a generic 19inch wheels so that the purchase price is less than 55k ? NJ has 2k incentive for new purchases under 55k.
2. I think the I'm getting a $330 discount for the miles it has already. I feel Tesla is low-balling me here. Is it possible to get them give a bigger discount ? How would I go about it ?

I think because the destination fee was charged to move the vehicle to where is sitting right now, and the transportation fee is to move it again to wherever the OP wants to pick it up.

I also agree that a $330 discount for a demo vehicle doesn't sound like a good deal to me either, but given the demand right now I don't even think Tesla needs to give it a discount at all and it would get sold.

Ordered a MY LR-AWD in early-Aug which was due for delivery Dec-Jan . This disappeared for several weeks and then a March 2022 delivery date appeared. I need a car so started enquiring about a Lexus NSX450h+ when suddenly I had a call from Tesla saying a demo vehicle was available for delivery in 5-10 days. 1,600 miles on the clock and we could have a $430 discount (woohoo!). He said it would be made like new but the wheels might have some marks from curb collisions. We decided to go for it even though there were extras (7 seats and tow hitch) that we didn't want but they wanted us to pay an extra $4000 for them anyway. This wasn't the end of it as when we went to pick it up, the vehicle interior was dirty (obviously someone had been using it to go to the beach and there was animal hair and sand in the trunk and glovebox). Sun visors had muddy finger prints and door trim marked on nearly every door and tailgate. Significant soft drink residue was in the rear door cup holder. Seemed as if someone had been putting their feet on the glovebox as there were shoe prints on it and the dash had marks and dirt and dust all over it. I was astonished how anyone with any class at all could do this to the beautiful interior of a new Tesla. Finally, lots of surface scratches on the rear and front bumper areas that could be polished out if someone had bothered. The only redeeming feature were the wheels which were unmarked. Really quite astonishing for a "luxury" car maker. I was reminded a few times that it is a demo vehicle (we felt like replying that we were paying a "new" price so expected more). Well, I bought a 3 year old 2nd hand certified Mercedes sedan from a MB dealer a few years ago that would have put the condition of this MY to shame. Our exciting day turned into a big disappointment for my family. We've been asked to return (an hour's drive) in 5 days (or later).

Ordered a MY LR-AWD in early-Aug which was due for delivery Dec-Jan . This disappeared for several weeks and then a March 2022 delivery date appeared. I need a car so started enquiring about a Lexus NSX450h+ when suddenly I had a call from Tesla saying a demo vehicle was available for delivery in 5-10 days. 1,600 miles on the clock and we could have a $430 discount (woohoo!). He said it would be made like new but the wheels might have some marks from curb collisions. We decided to go for it even though there were extras (7 seats and tow hitch) that we didn't want but they wanted us to pay an extra $4000 for them anyway. This wasn't the end of it as when we went to pick it up, the vehicle interior was dirty (obviously someone had been using it to go to the beach and there was animal hair and sand in the trunk and glovebox). Sun visors had muddy finger prints and door trim marked on nearly every door and tailgate. Significant soft drink residue was in the rear door cup holder. Seemed as if someone had been putting their feet on the glovebox as there were shoe prints on it and the dash had marks and dirt and dust all over it. I was astonished how anyone with any class at all could do this to the beautiful interior of a new Tesla. Finally, lots of surface scratches on the rear and front bumper areas that could be polished out if someone had bothered. The only redeeming feature were the wheels which were unmarked. Really quite astonishing for a "luxury" car maker. I was reminded a few times that it is a demo vehicle (we felt like replying that we were paying a "new" price so expected more). Well, I bought a 3 year old 2nd hand certified Mercedes sedan from a MB dealer a few years ago that would have put the condition of this MY to shame. Our exciting day turned into a big disappointment for my family. We've been asked to return (an hour's drive) in 5 days (or later).
wow. I am surprised they didn't clean the car beforehand. That's shocking. I am picking up a demo tomorrow and I hope mine isn't a horror story and would have to come back (an hour drive for me too) a few days later...

wow. I am surprised they didn't clean the car beforehand. That's shocking. I am picking up a demo tomorrow and I hope mine isn't a horror story and would have to come back (an hour drive for me too) a few days later...
It might be worth you calling ahead so they don't waste your time. My guess as to what happened is labor shortage and poor management/quality control. It should not take 5 days to do a deep clean, detail and polish out surface scratches. I don't have any confidence it will be everything we want when return next week..

1000 miles with a $330 discount is better than what Tesla is offering me on a MYLR demo car with 980+ miles on it. They are only trimming the price by $110 (yikes). Will speak to a SA about it but I have no clue how the discount is calculated.

I've heard various horror stories about the quality of these demo cars AND also very positive ones. Can't tell what will happen with mine.